Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bob Grellman Praise

kenriles012kenriles012 Posts: 170 ✭✭
edited October 30, 2017 12:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have that 1838 N-16 and I have had 3 people specifically want Mr. Grellman's grade on it, 1 other wanted it in an NGC holder, and another wanted the dealer representing him wanted the dealer to look at it before payment.

I broke down and just sent it to Bob. He is super easy to work with and the fact he does this for $1 is just incredible.

To make it sweeter and I had always pegged the coin as AU details as I am a pessimist. I was also concerned about the color as I thought the cleaning might be pretty bad and maybe with a re-coloring.

Got this email from Bob this morning:

"The 38 is N16. It has mint state sharpness but was cleaned. I give it a net grade if (sic) AU55 which places it tied for CC#3 or 4 depending on the census you are using. "

An incredible surprise!

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Grellman is "the bomb." AFAIK, the EAC and NGC grades would be different with NGC generally higher. Don't know why anyone would want a TPGS grade as the coin would probably cost more at the higher grade.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Bob Grellman is "the bomb." AFAIK, the EAC and NGC grades would be different with NGC generally higher. Don't know why anyone would want a TPGS grade as the coin would probably cost more at the higher grade.

He is and to answer your question: take a guess why somebody would want it in an NGC holder. I'll give you a hint it rhymes with "megistry"

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Grellman is amazing. He can take one look at a Matron Head or Braided Hair large cent and tell you the Newcomb number instantly. I don't have an encyclopedic memory like that, especially for differences as minor as those that determine the Newcomb numbers.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Bob Grellman is amazing. He can take one look at a Matron Head or Braided Hair large cent and tell you the Newcomb number instantly. I don't have an encyclopedic memory like that, especially for differences as minor as those that determine the Newcomb numbers.

The Braided Hairs are incredible hard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file