Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Canadian Penny 1943 Chrome?

Looking for any information on this.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plated for inclusion in a charm bracelet, so it would not tarnish.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

so not a mistake by chance? Charm bracelet makes sense thou. Thank you for your answer

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes... jewelry coin.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weight of your Canadian
    cent will be the same as normal
    copper Canadian Cent, or possibly
    .1 to .2 grams heavier, due to the plating.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to work in a large plating shop back in the '70's.

I'm thinking it is more likely that it is silver plated as it is easily done (I used to plate cents all the time as giveaways - both rack plated and barrel plated).

It could be chrome - if so, it would most likely have a layer of nickel plate underneath as decorative chrome plating thicknesses are extremely thin. Thin enough that the copper would show thru. Chrome plating is normally applied using racks.

It could also be zinc with a clear chromate applied. Could also be tin (but not likely).

Fred is correct, the weight increase will be minimal.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think (?) war year Canadian nickels were chrome plated steel, so perhaps in theory a cent blank could have gone through the plating process, but there are two issues: 1) proving that the cent got plated at the mint and not after it left the mint, and 2) the obvious mounting traces at the top and bottom rims.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 9:21AM

@JBK said:
    I think (?) war year Canadian nickels were chrome plated steel, so perhaps in theory a cent blank could have gone through the plating process, but there are two issues: 1) proving that the cent got plated at the mint and not after it left the mint, and 2) the obvious mounting traces at the top and bottom rims.

Correct. Canadian nickels were actually made of pure nickel up to 1942 when the material was switched to Tombac (copper/zinc). Nickel was needed in the war effort.

Tombac was used to 1944 when it changed to Steel plated with nickel and chrome.

In 1946, it went back to pure nickel.

No evidence in my Charlton reference that any alloy changes were made on cents from 1937 to 1947, and no mention of plating of cents.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file