Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Large cent merged with an Indian head cent

fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone had too much free time many years ago. The small cent was an 1859. Kind of a neat looking design. Looks a lot like an ancient Greek coin. Anyone ever see another like this. Would be cool to find the large cent with the Indian head imbeded in it

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet that is something done in the 20th Century.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I'll bet that is something done in the 20th Century.

Me too.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool. Almost appears that it circulated after they created it, or maybe used as a pocket piece for a while.
    I wonder why they didn't orient it so the date was under the neck line?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone in the 19th century had too much time on their hands and spent it making an odd pocket piece.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be contemporary to the mid-19th century. Nobody will ever prove it one way or the other.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun piece. Not hard to make with the right equipment.

Larry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 6:44AM

I have not seen one like that before....I wonder if there was an opposing piece? Probably long gone if there ever was....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file