Home Sports Talk

Greatest Individual Performance ?

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

A post by @DIMEMAN where he mentioned he (like me) was watching on TV when Kirk Gibson wobbled up to the plate for one of the great HR in baseball history. Got me thinking what was the best one day athletic performance I ever watched - college or pro. Obviously there's no wrong answer but try to pick just one. So, I'll put mine below; try to follow the format. Year of YOUR birth, player, context. No other restrictions as far as sport. Like tennis, track and field? boxing or the ponies? Have at it. Could be fun...

Christian Laettner

I am not a Duke fan (go Friars!) but THE SHOT; the game winner against Kentucky might have to be my choice. Not everyone realizes that in addition to one of the great buzzer beaters in college basketball, he had something of a 'perfect game' - he made every field goal and free throw that he attempted that game. Sure, it wasn't for the title (which they went on to win) but I remember just being in total awe. I still can't believe he even caught the ball let alone buried the turnaround.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a great shot. I remember it well.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Year I was born- 1964

Player- George Brett

1985 ALCS against the Toronto Blue Jays. Game 3. Royals down 0-2 in the series.
    Brett puts Royals on his back, goes 4-4, two dingers, a double and single and
    simply refuses to allow KC to go down in the series 0-3. I remember longtime Royals
    radio announcer Denny Matthews saying he had never seen a position player dominate
    a baseball game like Brett did that day. On defense, he also threw out a runner at the plate.
    Later in game six he hit a go ahead homer and the Royals won in seven, Brett being named
    MVP despite being walked seven times, still able to do major damage with his bat.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 4:40PM

The "steal" by Larry Bird against the Pistons. 1987.

If you included horses, Secretariat at Belmont smokes everything else.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

J.T. Barrett throwing 16 consecutive completions to finish one of the greatest comebacks way back in 17.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saturday, October 18, 1924 at the dedication game for Memorial Stadium, "Red" Grange forever changed the game of football in an electrifying display that would earn him the nickname "The Galloping Ghost". Grange scored 4 touchdowns the first four times he touched the ball- And that was just in the first quarter. And even 90 years later, Grange was considered either by ESPN or Sports Illustrated or both to be the greatest Collegiate Football player of all-time.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Walton going 21-22 in the NCAA tournament title game.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 4:19PM

Down 3-2 in the best of 7 series, and going into the 3rd period down 2-1, Mark Messier scores the game-tying goal, the go-ahead goal and an empty net goal to complete the hat trick in Game 6 of the 1994 conference finals vs the NJ Devils, a game he had previously guaranteed the Rangers would win. The Rangers would go on to win Game 7 and then the finals vs Vancouver to capture their first Stanley Cup since 1940.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 5:09PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Christian Laettner

I am not a Duke fan (go Friars!) but THE SHOT; the game winner against Kentucky might have to be my choice. Not everyone realizes that in addition to one of the great buzzer beaters in college basketball, he had something of a 'perfect game' - he made every field goal and free throw that he attempted that game. Sure, it wasn't for the title (which they went on to win) but I remember just being in total awe. I still can't believe he even caught the ball let alone buried the turnaround.

Shouldn't have even been in the game - deserved an ejection for his stomp earlier in the game.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michael Vick in the 2001 national title game against Florida State.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady guiding the Patriots back to win a Super Bowl against the Falcons and Frank Reich delivering a win against the Bills in the 92? AFC Championship game

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Tom Brady guiding the Patriots back to win a Super Bowl against the Falcons and Frank Reich delivering a win against the Bills in the 92? AFC Championship game

Funny footnote to that game? It wasn't sold out so it wasn't on TV in Buffalo. A good friend from college was from just outside of the city and a huge fan - had to listen on the radio.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

So did I win? I'm the only one that posted in the proper format, as requested.

Although I'm guessing coinkat is 110 to have been able to watch Red Grange play.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kellen Winslow in the San Diego Chargers - Miami Dolphins playoff game in January 1982.

Steve

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always had a fondness for Jim Abbots' no hitter as a Yankee with only one hand. I watched it live on TV and it is an event I will always remember.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darin- I am not 110 years old nor did I personally see Red Grange play. However, I had the opportunity to speak with one of my relatives- a ordinary Illinois farmer that witnessed an extrordinary event - he was at Memorial Stadium on October 18, 1924. In 1973 while visiting Mabel and Edwin's farm, Edwin shared his story about what he saw and witnessed with me. And his recollection was amazing leaving an impression of the value of Oral History and the need to preserve eye witness accounts for future generations.

There are many significant performances in all sports that I did not see-mainly because I was not born yet. But because I did not see them does not reduce or change the historical significance of those events. I would rather mention what has been shared with me with others to keep the progression of sports history in perspective.

As for what I have personally witnessed live would likely be Nolan Ryan striking out 19 against the Boston Red Sox at Anaheim Stadium.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    The "steal" by Larry Bird against the Pistons. 1987.

If you included horses, Secretariat at Belmont smokes everything else.

I will never forget that Belmont race. When Secretariat crossed the finish line the rest of the pack was just coming around the final turn! Greatest horse ever!!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2017 11:07AM

I could name any number of Tom Brady moments but i'll go with Pedro Martinez throwing a one hitter vs the Yankees at Yankees stadium where he struck 17 and faced one batter over the minimum. That one hit was a Chili Davis home run for the Yanks.
    Another great choice could be James White's 149 total yards while scoring 20 points in this past SB.