Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Denver Coin Expo Show Report, Friday, October 27

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

I was a cool and crisp Colorado morning for the drive down to Denver. The show is held at the "National Western Complex", which is in the old stockyards and rail yards area north of downtown. The drive down was nice, but the parking was a mess, cost $5.00, totally disorganized and I had to drive through two lots I was directed to only to find them full, then the third lot I was told to go the attendant did not want to let me in. After finally convincing him, I was allowed to park waaay behind the building next to the railroad tracks.

After the parking debacle, the rest was easy. Just pay another $5.00 entry fee, and then it was all good from there.

It looked like almost all of the tables were occupied. My mission was to sell off a REALLY nice Lincoln Cent Dansco (absent the keys) that I recently purchased in a bulk deal, a junky Lincoln cent collection album, some Lincoln varieties and some rolls of early bulk Lincolns. It was one really heavy roller bag!

First stop was to say "hi" to Gene Bruder, who I know form the Liberty Seated Collectors Club. We had a nice chat and I mentioned that I had this nice collection of Lincolns that some collector carefully assembled, and selected really nice coins for the grade. The early coins were all problem save for 3 coins, and the ones form 1934 and up were nearly complete in B.U. with many really nice full red coins. Gene said he wanted to look, and proceeded to take 9 coins on the spot.

After that, I went by to see Ken Byrd who gave me some natured bantering about not showing it to him first. We had a nice talk about grading Lincolns, and then made a bet for "who buys lunch the next time" on Saturday's Air Force/Colorado State football game. I told Ken that that lunch will taste better when the Air Force buys it! (More on this later)

I then sold several Lincoln varieties to two different dealers when "OldIndianNutKase" called me. We met at the table, and then later he showed me some really cool proof Indian Cents in the venue's café, which is right next to the bourse floor. You certainly can meet some interesting people with really neat coins on these forums!

After lunch in the venue cafe, I met with several other dealers, and then sold the balance of the nice Lincoln Dansco to a local Colorado dealer, and the junky Lincoln set to another.

I then just ran out of day, but I did peek into the auction held at the venue. The auctioneer was the "cattle auction" type caller. Kind of cool, but it was time to get back on the road.

Today my wife and I went to the Colorado State game, and we hosted the Air Force. Nice day for football!

But, the combination of Air Forces really big and really good offensive line, and their bewildering array of running plays made for a close game!

And the final was:
Air Force 45
Colorado State 28

I'll have to eat all of my smart aleck texts to Ken Byrd, who is sure to be unmerciful when enjoying the lunch that I have to buy him!

As they say, wait 'til next year . . .

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report . . .

GO USAFA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drunner
    USAFA'78

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

TFTR

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice report.... sorry about your lunch loss, but I am sure you will make the best of it.... Did you happen to notice the volume of bullion traffic? I am always interested to see how gold and silver is moving at shows.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.

GO USAFA !!!!!

USAFA '91
    (I'm not as old as @DRUNNER haha)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Wish i was there for show

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file