Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Foreign Substance

JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 26, 2017 6:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently purchased a very nice 1909 Barber Dime in AU condition with some sort of a foreign substance on the obverse. It appears white to the naked eye in an arcing fashion. Perhaps the foreign substance was deposited with another dime shielding the coin? Does anyone have an idea what the substance is? I tried an acetone and then a vinegar soak to remove it with no success,

I had a Morgan Dollar years ago with a similar residue; I sent it to NGC for conservation, the residue was removed, and the coin straight graded. My guess is the residue will come off easy if I knew what it was.

I love them Barber Halves.....

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like something has etched the surface.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

No, there's a "powdery" looking substance on the coins surface. It looks like zinc? I've seen it before, but what is it?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver Oxide would be my guess!

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

No, there's a "powdery" looking substance on the coins surface. It looks like zinc? I've seen it before, but what is it?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a foreign substance, I do see a die clash.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

The black spots make me think it's from a bad dip.

Larry

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    I don't see a foreign substance, I do see a die clash.

There is a very distinct die clash, but the "substance" is brownish in color in an arc through "Liberty".

Darrels guess of Silve Oxide seems promising; I'll check it out.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 5:07AM

I think he is talking about the small black streaks. I think that they might be impurities that were in the metal when the coin was struck. There is nothing wrong with them per say. Some collectors might wish that they weren't there.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

Whatever it is, it looks like it's not coming off easily. Good luck with that and let us know how it turns out.

Tom

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 6:21AM

@TPRC said:

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

Whatever it is, it looks like it's not coming off easily. Good luck with that and let us know how it turns out.

I don't think that "off" is the right term from those marks. I believe that the word "in" might be more accurate. To remove those marks, you would have to get below the surface, which is not a good thing to do. It is best left alone. They really don't amount to much, and as the coin tones over time, they will become less obvious.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try an acetone dip. Maybe it will be easier (and less expensive) than you think.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree with Bill... a harsh dip would likely remove much of it, however, I do not think you would like what remains. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I had a Morgan Dollar a few years back with a very similar substance on it. "On" is the opertative word. I tried dipping that coin with no effect. NGC removed it without a problem. My guess this is the same thing, but what to put on it?

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Xylene?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said: "I think he is talking about the small black streaks."

No Bill, he is talking about the dull gray ARCHED stain that has ETCHED the surface. I apologize for not knowing its chemical name (perhaps silver oxide?). I have heard them called "dip burn" by numismatists who conserve coins. I'll bet the black stains you referred to will turn the same color if the coin is dipped.

Summary. The surface of the silver became tarnished (corroded) due to contact with something. It darkened and when the coin was dipped, only the etched, gray surface remained.

BTW Those Proof Seated dollars and Proof Trade dollars with a similar, entirely gray surface suffered the same fate after being dipped to remove toning.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a bit of MS70 on it? Rolled on gently with a q-tip shouldnt hurt it.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 6:10PM

Terminal corrosion! Sorry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file