Home Sports Talk

Girardi out as Yankee Manager

dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I guess all those blown saves this year cost him his job. The Yanks should have won the division. I think they had over 20 blown saves. Tyler Clippard before his trade cost them something like 5 games in a row during one stretch

Long, Pena, Thompson are favorites to get job. Would like to see them snare Mattingly. Maybe they work out a deal with Jeter and allow him to come back to the Yankees

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

As expected, after all, winning is EVERYTHING in Yankee land, nothing less will do.

Losing the ALDS to the arch rival from Boston greased the skids. Had the team not put up an egg in game 7, maybe, (but perhaps not likely) he would have survived the axe. Replacement...couldn't care less.

Hey Joe...there's no crying in baseball

GO ASTROS

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Making it to the final four has lost its glitter.

Spoke to a neighbor yesterday who is a Yank's fan. He was quite engaged in the post season action until his team got bounced.

Asked him if he was watching the series. He said no.

What the hell.

Coin...therein lies the problem with "baseball fans"...

Make no mistake, I'm a Red Sox fan through and through. I've seen Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play in Fenway park...'nuff said.

The Red Sox won the ALDS, beating the Yankees this year...good enough for me. I never thought the team would make it as far as they did and posted about this back in May or June. To a Red Sox fan, its "as long as the Yankees lose"...you're almost born with it if you are born in New England, with the exception of a western portion of Connecticut, where the joy goes to the Bronx.

Too much nonsense within the team, hanging on to the Toad at 3rd base, HanRam, Price not producing, but being paid a king's ransom all...on and on. The Red Sox were fortunate to do as well as they did...AND, I'm glad Farrell is gone.

There are those that develop myopia, "my team ain't in it, I ain't gonna watch it". Look at the baseball they've missed with such a closed mind? Your neighbor is a case in point..silly, really.

I thought the Indians would make it, they didn't, I moved on to "support" the AL team, in this case the Astros. Not seeing last night's game is really indicative of a fair weather fan, "I love 'em till they lose, then its on to something else".

I would venture to say that a ton of Red Sox faithful were throwing in the towel after the Yankees were up 3-0 in the ALCS playoffs of 2004, having just whipped them 16-8 in Fenway...well, miracles happen, and a miracle fell on the Red Sox, they won the next 8 in a row. New Englanders were seen putting Red Sox flags by the tens of thousands on gravesites in cemeteries of beloved family members recently and long gone who were huge Red Sox fans, who endured the drought for so very, very long. Truly a moving thing to see on the evening news for days. The parade through Boston was just epic.

So, enjoy your team, but enjoy the game even more....after all, its only a game, not heart surgery.

GO ASTROS
    Methinks karma is afoot.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2017 11:10AM

MCMLVTopps - I love your attitude and you are right it is only a game. :)

Also...you must be older than me if you saw Ted play. ;)

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2017 11:15AM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Coin...therein lies the problem with "baseball fans"...

Make no mistake, I'm a Red Sox fan through and through. I've seen Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play in Fenway park...'nuff said.

The Red Sox won the ALDS, beating the Yankees this year...good enough for me. I never thought the team would make it as far as they did and posted about this back in May or June. To a Red Sox fan, its "as long as the Yankees lose"...you're almost born with it if you are born in New England, with the exception of a western portion of Connecticut, where the joy goes to the Bronx.

Too much nonsense within the team, hanging on to the Toad at 3rd base, HanRam, Price not producing, but being paid a king's ransom all...on and on. The Red Sox were fortunate to do as well as they did...AND, I'm glad Farrell is gone.

There are those that develop myopia, "my team ain't in it, I ain't gonna watch it". Look at the baseball they've missed with such a closed mind? Your neighbor is a case in point..silly, really.

I thought the Indians would make it, they didn't, I moved on to "support" the AL team, in this case the Astros. Not seeing last night's game is really indicative of a fair weather fan, "I love 'em till they lose, then its on to something else".

I would venture to say that a ton of Red Sox faithful were throwing in the towel after the Yankees were up 3-0 in the ALCS playoffs of 2004, having just whipped them 16-8 in Fenway...well, miracles happen, and a miracle fell on the Red Sox, they won the next 8 in a row. New Englanders were seen putting Red Sox flags by the tens of thousands on gravesites in cemeteries of beloved family members recently and long gone who were huge Red Sox fans, who endured the drought for so very, very long. Truly a moving thing to see on the evening news for days. The parade through Boston was just epic.

So, enjoy your team, but enjoy the game even more....after all, its only a game, not heart surgery.

GO ASTROS
    Methinks karma is afoot.

You can't enjoy a game like last nights if you slip into a coma before the 2nd inning. That was my issue with the red sox in a lot of games this year . Great comeback in the 12th !!! too bad I was already asleep :D

I'm not saying the beginning of last nights game was worse than others just omg start go go goooooooooo its like pulling teeth.

There was an NL game a few weeks ago where some guys on a TV show were saying it took some pitcher 5 minutes to throw 6 pitches to a single batter . Whoever that nameless pitcher was I'm sure the Red Sox already had him or are about to get him in the offseason.

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Back to the topic, what about ARod as Yankee manager? He's pretty sharp

90% of OP topics go off into tangents...it's the way it is on these boards. You don't have to search far to see this over and over.

ARod...what a joke...you mean Mr. Steroid Man? I really REALLY REALLY couldn't care less who the Yankee manager becomes. That you think Jeter would be a consideration is laughable, what, exactly what managerial experience does he have? NADA. Besides, he's a mega millionaire, who has life by the tail, lives like a king, beautiful wife, I'd bet my life savings he wouldn't touch that job for anything...at some point in life, money means nothing, Jeter is well into this mindset IMO.

I'm pretty sure Cashman will offer the job to someone who has other than 2nd base experience. Whoever it is, its a thankless job, win or run the New York gauntlet and get skewered. Remember, its win or nothing with Yankee fans, nothing, absolutely nothing below that is acceptable.

Actually, I think Cashman screwed Girardi. Who on this planet knows those players better than Girardi at this point? I can't think of a soul. Losing is a bummer, but its part of the game, every team goes through it. The next manager, whoever he may be, could well be much, much worse than Joe G. Could well be that Cashman abused his powers, based upon input from very, VERY angry "well placed" Yankee fans who are still pi$$sed over game 7.

It's only baseball, doesn't change my life not one miniscule scintilla, nor will I look for any reports on who the new guy is.

dbtunr...this is waaay off topic, so skip this one.

Dimeman...age is relative to how you look at life. Nothing bothers me, not anything...well, maybe a death in the family, but much beyond that I'm about as happy go lucky as it gets.

I survived 36 years in the Federal Government...they almost took my happy face, but I won in the end. When I left, I scraped the sticker off my car, gave it and my badge to my boss and just said "I'm done". I have a very happy life, beautiful wife, nice pension, beautiful house paid for, blah, blah, plenty of $$ in the bank that I'll probably never spend...I drive a 2017 Acura RDX, that we really enjoy. Going to New Zealand next month for 3 weeks and Southern Italy in April for 2 weeks. Wife is retired from Delta Airlines as a Flight Attendant for 24 years...so, we fly free (when there's a seat) for life.

I am blessed beyond words.

I think my time in Vietnam in the 1st Infantry Division really left an impression on me...I buried 2 very close friends, and but for the grace of God, go I. I am beyond speechless to tell you how beautiful that Continental Airlines B707 looked at Ton Son Nhut in Saigon and I had a ticket. Not every day you hear the pilot say..."ladies and gentlemen, I'm very pleased to announce that we are now well beyond enemy gunfire".

Only you as a Vietnam Vet can appreciate those words. life's a gift, every day that you're vertical is a great day...all this other stuff is just noise, no more, no less.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

lots of talk about Girardi being "fired" as Yankees manager, didn't his contract just run out and he wasn't offered another?? that's a little different. I personally didn't think he was a very good manager but the bar is set high in NYC.

At least you post sober unlike some other posters. His contract ran out and they didn't want to offer him another. Farrell was fired. Girardi was not renewed.

Unlike some posters, who appear to confuse a non renewal contract vs being fired, the end result is identical. Not wanting to offer another to the current manager is the same as being fired, Cashman just had an easy way to do it. I think Cashman was forced into taking the action he did...who knows what goes on behind closed doors. Again, winning is everything in the New York market, taking a loss, as painful as it may be, and acting like sportsman is a bit of a stretch to the New York mentality.

I have been to many Yankees/Red Sox games in Fenway park, where, when the Yankee pitcher was taken out of the game, and he pitched well, the Red Sox fans game him a standing ovation. This would be unheard of in Yankee stadium.

I think they screwed Girardi, and his replacement will have some very big shoes to fill.

unbelieveable, the Yankee fan understands what happened and the Red Sox fan doesn't and needs to inject something totally irrelevant.

that's why I love this place, so please don't change!!!!

get hung up on semantics if you want to, but he wasn't fired, the Team chose not to offer him a contract.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 7:19AM

So just unwanted and he is not with the team anymore so its nothing like getting fired :p

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

like I said, some folks post here drunk. Either that or he is just a hateful human being. Or drunk and hateful. Maybe I'll go with that one.

**So just unwanted **

yeah, something like that. I suppose this is another "media" thing where they want to make something out of nothing. I have read a few articles about this and nowhere did anyone say anything negative about Girardi or the Yankees. also, it is never mentioned what part he played, he may want to take some time off from managing. I thought he played the class-card well, never said anything negative about the Yankees. that leads me to believe it was a mutual decision and that even had the Yankees played in/won the WS he still may not have returned.

I really don't think there's anything sinister about it.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a big market team this is absolutely a firing. If he had an option a year ago and they didn't pick it up he was dead man walking this season. :D

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

My take as a Yankee fan who thinks Girardi is a very good manager?

He was fired* (or not renewed) because of these two reasons:

1) He won one World Series in ten years; that's good enough for 29 other teams, but not the Yankees. Unrealistic and unfair? Sure. However, it's also very clear to anyone who takes the job that winning trumps all - had he won the World Series this year, he would probably be back. While not unprecedented, managers rarely get fired after winning a World Series.

2) He did not handle stars well which is tough to do in a star driven franchise. From Jeter to Posada to A-Rod to Chapman to Sanchez (and others in between), a lot of tough decisions made by Joe (ones I largely agreed with) are not how things are done today. Specifically, the benching of Sanchez and demotion of Chapman this summer: right thing to do but in this day and age of the coddled sensitive superstar both were grumbling about it and you need to keep the talent happy.

I have never been a believer that managers are overly important but I also know the wrong one can be a killer. Still, this is a nice team to be taking over and Cashman has set himself up to look good (as usual) if the new hire wins a WS in the next three years. I thought Buck Showalter was a really good manager with the Yankees and I thought it was a mistake to fire him, too. And maybe if Buck stays he wins those titles BUT maybe it had to be Torre. We'll never know...

...but Torre proved to be A guy who could get the job done.

*I say fired because I get the sense he wanted to keep being the manager of the Yankees. For what it is worth, from what Yankee sources told Mike Francessa, he said on-air that it was basically Girardi walked in and there was no negotiation - he was told they would not be bringing him back and that was it. End of meeting.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

from Dbtunr:
    like I said, some folks post here drunk. Either that or he is just a hateful human being. Or drunk and hateful. Maybe I'll go with that one.

Now that Dbtunr has chosen to go with personal insults, instead of challenging my post with a well thought out response, his true persona appears to have come full circle. It's time for me to no longer waste my time on these boards, nor do I care to lower myself to his boorish level.

To those I've enjoyed posting with, my best wishes...to others not so much.

@MCMLVTopps said:
    from Dbtunr:

Now that Dbtunr has chosen to go with personal insults, instead of challenging my post with a well thought out response, his true persona appears to have come full circle. It's time for me to no longer waste my time on these boards, nor do I care to lower myself to his boorish level.

To those I've enjoyed posting with, my best wishes...to others not so much.

Dude please consider soaking your head and come back when you are ready. Just ignore anyone who bothers you.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited October 27, 2017 11:47AM

yeah, don't let someone who's fueding with you for their own reasons drive you away. heck, if that was the case the commemman would have caused me to have an aneurism years ago!!!! :) this is all Happy Family stuff for me, guys rag on me for different reasons(probably deserving) and then congratulate on something later on. not a bog deal, really.

I would think every member here has at least a couple guys they butt heads with, I just ignore those guys.

@bronco2078 said:
    In a big market team this is absolutely a firing. If he had an option a year ago and they didn't pick it up he was dead man walking this season. :D

Historically the Yankees let the contracts expire and then give a new one or do what they did with Girardi and let him go. They don't extend for managers.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like dbtunr got too nasty with someone.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude please consider soaking your head and come back when you are ready. Just ignore anyone who bothers you.
    mark

I don't think he will be bothering you for a while.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:

mark

I don't think he will be bothering you for a while.

Yes the nuclear option happened

m