Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS error coin submission

If I have an error coin worth under $300, can I just submit it through economy service? It's a blatantly obvious error (off center) and I don't necessarily need any description from PCGS. Would they grade it if I submitted through economy service?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see why they would not grade it.

Larry

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. You're basically paying the Error fee to have it noted on the label.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like error coins that are not listed as errors. Just pay the extra fee, or send to ngc for the cheaper route.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you send it though economy service it will likely not get a straight grade. It will depend on what the error is and how much of an impact it has on the coin itself. If you want an error coin to get a straight grade it needs to be sent in through the error service. How much off center is the strike of the coin?

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to me the main value is in the error, so why skip the error attribution?
    If you don't care about that, them why bother submitting? I might be missing something.....

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    It seems to me the main value is in the error, so why skip the error attribution?
    If you don't care about that, them why bother submitting? I might be missing something.....

I have wondered the same thing as the OP before. I have error coins that personally, I would like to have slabbed for aesthetic and preservation reasons. It would also serve as a guarantee for buyers, if I were to sell, that the coin is genuine.

However, the $60 fee for Mint Error attribution is very steep. This, considering that most error collectors don't need the label to identify what the error is with their naked eye (in contrast to, for example, varieties on classic coinage). And, in my experience, the listed attribution of the error on the label can often be incorrect, incomplete, and inconsistent.

For many errors, especially low-value ones, the $60 additional fee doesn't make sense.

@truecollectiblecoins - I have a modern shattered die Roosevelt dime in a normal PCGS holder without the Mint Error designation, so at least one major error has been slabbed in this manner.

• Options

Thx for the explanation. Makes sense. One question: without paying for error attribution, if they straight grade it are they also authenticating the error (without mention on the label) or the just the coin?

• Options

@morgandollar1878 said:
    If you send it though economy service it will likely not get a straight grade. It will depend on what the error is and how much of an impact it has on the coin itself. If you want an error coin to get a straight grade it needs to be sent in through the error service. How much off center is the strike of the coin?

I have a state quarter, likely 60% off center. But my concern is just that I want to get a MS grade, but don't feel the coin has enough value for a $60 grading fee to be appropriate.

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:

@JBK said:

I have wondered the same thing as the OP before. I have error coins that personally, I would like to have slabbed for aesthetic and preservation reasons. It would also serve as a guarantee for buyers, if I were to sell, that the coin is genuine.

However, the $60 fee for Mint Error attribution is very steep. This, considering that most error collectors don't need the label to identify what the error is with their naked eye (in contrast to, for example, varieties on classic coinage). And, in my experience, the listed attribution of the error on the label can often be incorrect, incomplete, and inconsistent.

For many errors, especially low-value ones, the $60 additional fee doesn't make sense.

@truecollectiblecoins - I have a modern shattered die Roosevelt dime in a normal PCGS holder without the Mint Error designation, so at least one major error has been slabbed in this manner.

So just to clarify, PCGS gave a numerical grade, but didnt name the error?

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting question.

I don't know if PCGS would take an off center cent
    on a normal economy submission, and just grade
    it without noting it's off center.

Not sure, but I don't think they would do this.
    You can always check with customer service.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the error is not valuable enough to submit for error grading, why not just get a blank slab and do it yourself... that will provide protection for the coin without the extra cost. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boggles my mind. Paying, or charging 60 Dollars just to see the off center error in writing ????
    I think the reason for grading is lost with these high fees.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

My question is a bit of hair splitting, but might be important. If they straight grade an error, they are "authenticating" the coin as part of that process, but are they also authenticating the error? For example, if I sent a coin with a clip for straight grade only, are they telling me the authenticity and grade of the coin only, or are they also tacitly saying the error is also genuine, and not a forged clip?

I agree that the fees for errors are high (ATS as well) but I imagine some of what they get is a lot more complicated than an off-center coin, such as those super rare double struck coins that some dismiss as glue. :s

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you submit the coin under the Mint Error tier,
    they will authenticate the error, and grade it.

As I mentioned above, I don't believe you can
    send an error in a normal 'non-error' tier,
    and have it just graded, without the error notation.

Not 100% sure of this, but it's probably correct;
    you can always call their customer service and ask them.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2017 9:00AM

@FredWeinberg said:
    I don't believe you can

That would make sense to me. I suppose if you sent a very minor error or a die variety such as a DD, it could straight grade, but an obvious/intrusive error might be handled differently.

BTW - yes, CALL customer service, don't email. Last year I emailed CS three times about a rare error coin I wanted to submit, and I unfortunately never got a reply. I was going to join to get submission privileges and all that.

• Options

@truecollectiblecoins said:

@morgandollar1878 said:

I have a state quarter, likely 60% off center. But my concern is just that I want to get a MS grade, but don't feel the coin has enough value for a $60 grading fee to be appropriate.

If you send it in under the regular economy service it will not get a straight grade. In order for it to get an actual straight grade you have to send it in under the error service. You will be wasting your money by sending in the way you are talking about.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    Boggles my mind. Paying, or charging 60 Dollars just to see the off center error in writing ????

Many coins are not worth enough to put into a slab, but people still do. What would be the reason for grading a ChUnc 30% off-center memorial cent?

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    If you submit the coin under the Mint Error tier,
    they will authenticate the error, and grade it.

As I mentioned above, I don't believe you can

Not 100% sure of this, but it's probably correct;
    you can always call their customer service and ask them.

I wonder if it matters how big of an error it is? Many of my gold errors I cherry picked already in graded holders, then just re-submitted them and added the error designations. Retained cuds, rotated dies, strike throughs, etc.

• Options

@jwitten Yes, it does matter how large the error is and where it is located on the coin. I have seen many minor errors, such as strike though spots, retained cuds and chips, etc. with a straight grade in a non-error PCGS holder. The OP's coin is a major enough of an error that it will not get a straight grade if sent in under any non-error service. I have also submitted coins that had minor errors but they were not straight graded because of the error, be it the location of the error or because it was just a little too big.

• Options

@YQQ said:

Totally agree

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had two modern struck through errors in a normal bulk submission returned in flips marked "error."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file