Home Precious Metals
Options

Rhodium

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boom. Up another $60 today

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

Such a strange metal/market. I've always found it humorous that the Kitco app and quick webpage charts go back 10 years on every metal except Rh, which only goes back 5 years max. They sure wouldn't sell much if people could easily dig up that it was $10k/oz late in 2008, before dropping to $1k shortly thereafter.

That being said, I think I do have an ounce of it somewhere, taken on trade for other PMs a while ago.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up a PAMP ounce back in June. I'm pretty happy with the results so far because it's up about $500 since then.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rhodium the other white meat

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may be thinking of something else, but wasn't Rhodium more of a junk metal about 40 some years ago?? Used on cheap jewelry?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko I believe they plate it over sterling jewelry to keep it from tarnishing.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rhodium, Iridium, and Osmium are just weird metals markets, thin as the atmosphere on planet Mercury with spreads out as wide as the Oort cloud.

I'd be interested in a small piece of each as part of an Elements collection, but for investing significant dollars, no.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appearance
    A hard, shiny, silvery metal.
    Uses
    The major use of rhodium is in catalytic converters for cars (80%). It reduces nitrogen oxides in exhaust gases.

Rhodium is also used as catalysts in the chemical industry, for making nitric acid, acetic acid and hydrogenation reactions.

It is used to coat optic fibres and optical mirrors, and for crucibles, thermocouple elements and headlight reflectors. It is used as an electrical contact material as it has a low electrical resistance and is highly resistant to corrosion.
    Biological role
    Rhodium has no known biological role. It is a suspected carcinogen.
    Natural abundance
    Rhodium is the rarest of all non-radioactive metals. It occurs uncombined in nature, along with other platinum metals, in river sands in North and South America. It is also found in the copper-nickel sulfide ores of Ontario, Canada.

Rhodium is obtained commercially as a by-product of copper and nickel refining

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭

Now it's down $245 today. :o This thread jinxed it! :D

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that rhodium has some of the best optical properties found.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Rhodium is used to plate over white gold. It is brighter and harder which is particularly useful for crowns.

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda like Baley, I want an example just to have some, but would likely stop after getting a single ounce of it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coulport....."It is brighter and harder which is particularly useful for crowns." Do you mean crowns as in head wear for kings and queens?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Coulport....."It is brighter and harder which is particularly useful for crowns." Do you mean crowns as in head wear for kings and queens?? Cheers, RickO

Uh, not quite.
    The crown I am referring to is on a ring usually diamond.
    The spike to 10K really shook up some in the jewelry trade.

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rhodium, monoisotopic. Like gold. Go for osmium and platinum, more isotopes of each, much more interesting.......

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017 11:31AM

@Justacommeman said:
    Rhodium the other white meat

m

Did she have a friend named Mary Tyler Moor-ium?

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Chart One
    Chart Two
    Chart Three (will need to adjust parameters to "Rhodium")