Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Regrade option

REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever sent in a PCGS graded Details/Genuine coin using their "Regrade" service and get a numeric grade back?

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am fairly certain that someone will chime in with a response something similar to that they have by crack and resubmit as RAW.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be interested to know as well. I have a 37-D 3 leg buff that they called cleaned, but I and the few people I've shown it to disagree. I'll probably eventually just crack and resub it unless I sell it.

Collector, occasional seller

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

@REALGATOR said:
    Has anyone ever sent in a PCGS graded Details/Genuine coin using their "Regrade" service and get a numeric grade back?

You meant reconsideration? I sent in a au50 and got back as AU53. I never try details because I think details is hard to get upgrade unless you crack it out and resubmit.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is already in a details holder what reason or downside would there be of cracking it out?

I would have to think your chances would be 100x greater than sending it in the details holder.

GrandAm :)
  • REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2017 2:27AM

@GRANDAM said:
    If it is already in a details holder what reason or downside would there be of cracking it out?

Possibly damaging the coin by cracking it out. Such as a gold dollar is soft and bends easily. My thoughts are its never been
    tried or accomplished since it requires the grading company to admit more of a mistake (details vs. original) as opposed to a numeric change which is more subjective. Changing an AU50 to 53 is not going to cause much commotion.
    Going from AU Details to 50 or 55 or even 45 can be quite a messy proposition for the grading company.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know over the years that many regrades have been reported, just do not recall if they were cracked and submitted or sent in for reconsideration....likely the best option would be crack and submit. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file