Home U.S. Coin Forum

Unusual to find a Morgan error in a GSA holder...

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 24, 2017 7:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Minor error but still scarce. Picked it up tonight at Heritage.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 7:25AM

Not even a sympathy bump?

:'(

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I've seen a dropped letter in a GSA. Went for around $8k if I remember correctly.

The more you VAM..
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! :)

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The was a strike through on ebay a couple weeks ago, don't know if it is still up or if it sold....did not watch it.

It was an 1880cc as I recall.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin either way.

I recall back in the day when the GSA dollars were being auctioned there was a Coin World story about a major off-center strike that was going to be included in the sale (at regular price) and randomly shipped. It ended up with a non-collector. As I recall it was roughly 50% off-center and I think I recall a value of $10,000 being mentioned.

@FredWeinberg said:
    When I went to the West Point Depository (at the time),
    it was to evaluate the Errors for the GSA, since they had
    received some bad commentary about the retail price
    of the CC's they were selling.....the GSA hoped that by
    saying 'you might get an error coin', it would stimulate
    purchases.

The best piece they found was the (about) half-off center
    1884-CC; they placed it randomly in a box, kept tract of
    it, and sent it out - and it turns out that the owner of the
    coin (who lived in Portland, Or) sold the coin just two or
    three years later to a local coin shop, who then sold it to
    a very good dealer friend of mine - he still has it, and hasn't
    looked at it in probably 45 years or so.

And, fyi - although the GSA or WPD didn't find them when
    they looked for errors, there are at least two Double Struck
    in the collar GSA's that have been found in the past 25 years.

What would you estimate current auction prices would be for the off center or either of the double struck examples today Fred?

The more you VAM..
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:

The best piece they found was the (about) half-off center
    1884-CC; they placed it randomly in a box, kept tract of
    it, and sent it out - and it turns out that the owner of the
    coin (who lived in Portland, Or) sold the coin just two or
    three years later to a local coin shop, who then sold it to
    a very good dealer friend of mine - he still has it, and hasn't
    looked at it in probably 45 years or so.

That is the one I recall. I figured FW would have known about it. Glad to know that some of the stuff I seem to remember actually happened.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to know, as these types of
    errors are valued very differently
    by auction bidders (I have lots of examples)

But to try to answer the question, I recall
    the D/S in collar pieces being priced around
    $35K-$45K, which rarity wise, an argument
    could be made, but not by appearance of the
    double striking, rotated in the collar - not that
    dramatic....

The Off Center is SPECTACULAR for a normal
    Off Center Morgan (I still own the 1880-S 40% O/C);
    I would think that if the 84-CC were in an auction,
    with the pedigree it has, it would bring $100K,
    or something like that.

Someplace around my office I have the original
    photo that Arnie Margolis took in 1973 of it.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 11:06AM

I'd love to see the pic, Fred.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

really nice pick up, I fancy the CC

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought one of the double struck was fairly dramatic. But not being an error person it may have just seemed that way to me.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whomever put that coin in the GSA holder must have known there was something wrong with it because it's in a holder that doesn't have "unc" on it...it got a 64 witch means it wasn't bagged out of that kind of GSA holder and there is no toning...so GSA got it right from the get go here IMO ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased several of the unopened GSA packages, years ago.....I did open them, but never checked for strike throughs or other issues..Guess I should pull them out and look at them.....Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    I purchased several of the unopened GSA packages, years ago.....I did open them, but never checked for strike throughs or other issues..Guess I should pull them out and look at them.....Cheers, RickO

What dates did you get?

The more you VAM..
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice pick up :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris .....If I recall... they were '82, '83, '84, '85....a couple of duplicates..... I got them from GSAguy....Cheers, RickO

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just asking because I don't know....Not making any claims here...

But how hard is it to open the GSA holder, put in another coin, and seal it again without leaving any evidence?? Are they sealed in any significant way?

Easily distracted Type Collector

They were Sonic sealed at the
    West Point Depository.

(I was there one day and observed it myself)

Although it's possible, I haven't
    heard of any such replacements.

I would think that the plastic would
    'frost' where it was broken apart into
    two pieces.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    West Point Depository.

two pieces.

Thanks. I had the mistaken impression that they were "snap together".

Just ignore me....I'll try to be good. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector

@ricko said:
    @CascadeChris .....If I recall... they were '82, '83, '84, '85....a couple of duplicates..... I got them from GSAguy....Cheers, RickO

You got an 85? Score!!

The more you VAM..

Guys, if you want a great read about a guy manufacturing and selling fake GSA's and being taken down with the help of the guys on the CCF forum by the Secret Service check out this thread. Great read!!...

https://www.coincommunity.com/FORUM/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=161173&whichpage=1

Also, here's a link from the thread to a newspaper article on the arrest...

http://www.nhregister.com/connecticut/article/Former-Hamden-resident-faces-charges-for-selling-11371585.php

The more you VAM..
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

Mine wasn't a mint error, but I received a GSA with Post Mint Damage once. They must have used counting machines at the GSA, as I had an 1880-CC that got caught in the counting machine and had a pretty big wheel mark. It made it past the GSA censors and into an Uncirculated holder.

I thought PMD would devalue the coin, but this type of damage seemed pretty rare in an uncirculated holder, and I did quite well selling the coin.

Yes, that's the coin,
    and I apologize for
    saying 1884-CC.

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kove said:
    Mine wasn't a mint error, but I received a GSA with Post Mint Damage once. They must have used counting machines at the GSA, as I had an 1880-CC that got caught in the counting machine and had a pretty big wheel mark. It made it past the GSA censors and into an Uncirculated holder.

I thought PMD would devalue the coin, but this type of damage seemed pretty rare in an uncirculated holder, and I did quite well selling the coin.

In now have a stack of PMD GSA coins. Knife cuts, counting wheels, etc. The worst is a lock 67 coin that has some weird rub behind the cap. One of the nicest GSA's I have seen, but wont grade.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    West Point Depository.

two pieces.

Dealer friend of mine had a GSA holder that just fell apart along the seam. Looked like it had never been together. Another dealer friend of his kept trying to buy the empty holder, we suspect for loading with a coin that would be unusual and more valuable in the GSA than without.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018 12:42PM

I wonder if the Broken CC Dollar at Northern Nevada Coin was originally a GSA Dollar?

https://www.brokencc.com/modules.php?mod=Pages&op=view_page&pg_id=65

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

....that's possible - it's happened with TPG holders in the past too....

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an 1880cc with a struck through date and sent to our host for grading and forgot to pay for the error service and they would not grade and sent back. I threw it up on ebay and got maybe a $50 premium.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure I recall seeing a GSA dollar with a rim clip on eBay a couple of years ago, I want to say it was an 1883-CC. The coin was graded and attributed as an error by NGC while still in the original holder. Would have been nice to have it for my type set but it was priced well beyond my comfort zone.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I wonder if the Broken CC Dollar at Northern Nevada Coin was originally a GSA Dollar?

https://www.brokencc.com/modules.php?mod=Pages&op=view_page&pg_id=65

I wonder if Carson City mint dollars are more prone to that as it's VERY easy to get broke in Nevada.

.........groooaaannnnn..... :p

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3

That 84-CC 2-pc set was not part of the GSA sale.

I owned it, and sold it to the current owner, along time ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file