Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who provided the coins for the AMAZING plates in the MONSTER Redbook?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, there are some very cool early coppers in the BIG Redbook.
They sorta look like they were taken at one source. Since I can't envision multiple contributors sending in scads of coins, I'm assuming they referenced an extensive collection.

Anyone know?

That's the Redbook I cut into sections to make it easily holdable while reading. :D

Comments

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

I fractured my wrist using it as a bathroom book when I first got it :joy:

The more you VAM..
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why I took a hatchet and made it into FOUR books. :D

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta wonder if they might have better sales if they DID split it into 4 books, each updated in sequence every 4 years! As it stands, I'm not sure anyone who bought a 2017 version is jumping in line to buy a 2018. But if your "Cent through Nickel" book, (for instance), is from 2014 you might very well decide to update to 2018....

It is one of the best references out there, and darn cheap for what you get, I'll give them that!

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt will know.

Larry

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the spotlight feature. I bought a 2nd edition megared just because it has a 120 page section on small cents, or something like that. I don't recall what they focused on in the first or third editions

Doug
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017 3:53PM

@TommyType said:
    Gotta wonder if they might have better sales if they DID split it into 4 books, each updated in sequence every 4 years! As it stands, I'm not sure anyone who bought a 2017 version is jumping in line to buy a 2018. But if your "Cent through Nickel" book, (for instance), is from 2014 you might very well decide to update to 2018....

It is one of the best references out there, and darn cheap for what you get, I'll give them that!

To entice people to buy every year, Whitman is essentially taking one of the 'Bowers Series' books and inserting it in the Mega Red Book each year - first edition was Large Cents, second edition Small Cents, third edition five cents (nickels). These inserts are not the full 'Bowers Series' book, but certainly have the meat of those books.

I have been and will be an annual buyer. The cost is insignificant, the cost in the trade channels is not much more than the cost of having one or two coins slabbed.

And the accepted term for the book seems to have settled on 'Mega' Red Book.

@Dentuck should be able to clear up where the plates are coming from. Probably some of them come out of the 'Bowers Series' books.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a great book albeit a LITTLE cumbersome. The values for some if the varieties are way off, tho, IMHO. This year's edition covers the Nickels whereas the first one covered the half cents and large cents if I'm not mistaken.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, it is worthwhile to buy it every year, because the feature section changes.
    There are photo credits in the Preface section of the book.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really easy to chop up.
    Then you have to put them back in order if you're OCD.

I never used it til I chopped it.
    Now, quite regularly.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017 11:04PM

The regular spiral-bound Red Book is my "go-to" U.S. Coin book (within reaching distance of the computer). The last two monthly editions of "Coins" Magazine (KP) are on the computer desk too.

The three Mega Reds and the five book SCWC are on a shelf about four feet away. The most recent Spink/Seaby is there too. Red Gadoury is there too. White Gadoury is on another shelf about six feet away.

My last four or five 'Coin Yearbooks' by Token Publishing (UK) are in with the bathroom books.

It all depends on what I want to know and the computer/internet is in front of me, of course.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    @Treashunt will know.

I'll try to find out.

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mega Red is my 'go to' reference and I keep it right next to my computer, with the CPG's right alongside. I did not (and will not) chop mine into sections... I do not mind it's size (good exercise :D ).....Cheers, RickO

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "pocket edition Mega Red Book" is very convenient to carry. My pet kangaroo has never complained. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file