Home U.S. Coin Forum

show me a coin you regret in buying

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll probably get fewer replies here than your other threads. Human and Collector nature. :)

But I will add an "unfortunate decision" when I get home. After taking 6 or 7 years off, I was a little too enthusiastic to get "back in the game". And my talents, (as limited as they are), were just not up for the task yet. Oh, well....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't show you such a coin and can't remember them either. Once I decide I've goofed (thank goodness it has been all that many times!) I get rid of the coin even if I have to take a loss. I don't need the ghost of a bad transaction haunting me and my collection (that last sentence was because Halloween is close. Grin.).
    Pete

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too lazy to post images but I have a small hoard of Bi Metal, Library of Congess commems. in MS69.

Probably down $200 each if I resold them today.

Intend to hold them for a while as I believe the value is there.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have it anymore, or a picture of it, but I got royally ripped off on a trime once. It was my fault for not doing my homework but I share the blame with the dealer. I felt the amount he took me for was big enough that he shouldn't be able to sleep at night.

It hasn't happened since and won't happen again. The price of an education.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017 1:33PM

Could've really lost my a** on this one, as the tuition cost might've been very HIGH. Used to be a 63 before but was a 64, when I bought it. The auction description said fully original with great luster....yeah, right. In reality, it has an average strike and bad luster/dull surfaces......covered in dip residue. As luck would have it; I was made whole and then some.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought an 1879-O Morgan at the only public coin show I've attended. It was at the now gone Hacienda Hotel. Smokey, noisy, poor lighting, and the coin was marked CH BU. Got it home and saw it was a slider.....last show for me.

bob :(
    PS: no pic other than the one in your mind.......yep that's it!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably that ogh coin would come back with the guarantee submission honored.

I had an 1866 $20 gold piece Anacs MS60 I bought in the late 90s for around $4K. It would not cross, Mark Salzberg at NGC told me the reason, it wasn't Unc. in his opinion without giving definite criteria by which they make that decision. I lost $1K on the coin.

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't Have pictures readily available.... but the Wisconsin Low and High leaf varieties. I swear book on them drops $10/week!!

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017 5:58PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    Almost all of them. I wish I had used the money in time to purchase Google, Apple, and Amazon stock.

& nflx, tsla, fb.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:

pls elaborate...?

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Bought an 1879-O Morgan at the only public coin show I've attended. It was at the now gone Hacienda Hotel. Smokey, noisy, poor lighting, and the coin was marked CH BU. Got it home and saw it was a slider.....last show for me.

bob :(
    PS: no pic other than the one in your mind.......yep that's it!

Smokey?

The more you VAM..
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the years I’ve purchased more than a few that I’ve regretted. I make it a point to sell/dump them immediately. That way they’re quickly forgotten. There’s noting worse than seeing the stupid things every time you go through the SDB.

Funny enough, it’s not too unusual to come out ahead on the sale. Doesn’t happen often, but it’s sure nice to take whatever you get and apply it to something better.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

As promised, (or at least hinted at), here's the one I regret.

It's graded G-6, which in itself isn't the issue. The obverse detail may be nicer than that. But it's a net-grade job, me thinks, due to the spotting/pitting. And to top it off, I overpaid by $100 or more, and the price has been falling ever since. (But I was so excited to get back to coins!! :) )
    (Sorry for the pics....not in the mood to try again.)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a bust dime, commone date, AU, at a local auction. There was some odd toning on the obverse and for some reason didn't take a closer look. The toning was covering a patch that had been monkeyed with, or 'repaired'.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 20 years ago I bought a raw 1794 1/2 Cent at a large CA show. Super nice surfaces, probably VF or XF. Sweet looking coin. At the time I was messing around with 1/2 Cents. Anyway, I got it home and about six months later I removed it from the cardboard 2x2 and saw one of the largest rim bruises I've ever seen. No way it could be certified by anybody. Darn thing was really damaged. Arg!

This one coin annoyed me for the better part of 10 years. How could I be so stupid? So careless? Finally, I decided it had to go, so I just listed it on eBay, describing the huge bruise. Started it at one cent. The coin sold for FOUR TIMES WHAT I PAID FOR IT. Rare variety? Who knows. Wish I had a pic.

Moral of the story: Sometimes you just get lucky.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

@ldhair said:

pls elaborate...?

I'm guessing the obverse graffiti.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

None. Because I've never spent money on a coin that would cut into paying the bills. Even when I was a hopped- up, stoned, drunk kid I at least had the good sense to never over pay on a coin. Back in those days I knew my judgement was impaired. So I bought gold. And cheap (for the time) type coins. I figured I couldn't go wrong that way. I was right. It all turned out good. Coins were my passion then and they still are. The coin thing has always been good to me. No regrets. NONE!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 7:36AM

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, I do not regret any of my purchases. I have purchased a couple of 'sets' - i.e. Franklins - that are no prize, however, I knew what I was buying at the time and had intended it as a gift for a YN...(did not work out)...So, I do not regret it. I just buy coins that appeal to me... Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a few but I can't stand the reminder so I always sell them or give them away.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rollerman said:
    I can't show you such a coin and can't remember them either. Once I decide I've goofed (thank goodness it has been all that many times!) I get rid of the coin even if I have to take a loss. I don't need the ghost of a bad transaction haunting me and my collection (that last sentence was because Halloween is close. Grin.).
    Pete

That has been my approach too. I make a note not to make the same mistake again, sell it for what I can get, and refocus on the coins I am happy with.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought it as a birthday present for myself just because that hole had been empty for so looooong.

I believe this is the same coin in a previous life before it made a trip to the doctor's office.

Good news is I came to my senses and was able to sell it for a small profit. Alas the hole is empty again.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this one (and others) for a ton of money before it was disclosed in 2011 that a Mint employee had stolen $2.4 millions worth of Plain Edge coins from the Mint, to sell through a distributor to collectors. I got seriously buried in those. :#

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a piece of English Hammered gold - beautiful piece but quickly realized I made a wrong turn in my collecting journey.

Sold it for a 5K loss. Larry Stacks was interested but wouldn't consider the coin until I cracked it out - he wanted to see it raw! There was no guarantee that he would buy it or that it would regrade but after cracking it out, he bought it.

Lesson learned. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file