Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's going on with the Obverse Rim of this 1923P Mercury Dime?

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

From about 9;30 to 11. Is it a Very Minor Clip? I see nothing that looks like damage. Reverse shown also.

Thanks.
Ken

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a rim clip to me. It is on both sides and there was not enough metal there to raise the rim upwards like it should have when it was struck. In this time period there was a lot of that happening at the Philadelphia mint. Peace dollars from 1922 and 1923 are seen with a minor rim clip on a more than occasional occurrence.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be my guess as well, or some othet type of pre-strike planchet damage.

What does the reeding look like along that area? Is it slightly weaker than normal?

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's way too 'wide' or long to be a
    rim clip, disc clip, etc. - to me.

If it's not a partial collar, then it might
    just be damage of some type.

Photos of the edge of the coin, as well
    as another set OUT of the 2x2 holder,
    would be helpful.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe these will help.

Ken

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

agree with @FredWeinberg the 2nd set of pictures makes it look like a Rim clip. Good eye

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still don't see a clip but I do see what looks like natural, dull, whitish, weak strike frost on the "NE" and reverse rim. If these areas are truly "natural," you have a mint made "something." Perhaps a clip so small that planchet metal reached the collar (edge reeds look OK) yet did not fill the rest of the die. Let's see what Fred says.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it is any type of damage.
    I think it is a weak strike on a blank that only had a partially-upset rim.
    The blank may have been damaged in some way before the upset mill operation, resulting in an incomplete raised rim prior to the strike.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

After getting a look at the second set of pics I am going to retract my statement saying that it is a clipped planchet. The reeding is too strong. A slight taper in the Planchet maybe before it was struck? I am pretty sure that it is not post mint damage. It is interesting to say the least.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

Could it be damage from being in a bezel at one time?

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite the puzzler. I don't know. Best guess is a rim burr on the obverse side of the planchet that detached before this hammered strike obliterated any other trace of the burr. Would like to know the weight.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is unique.... the reeding looks fine.... the reverse rim seems a bit weak....but the obverse looks like there was no upset at all.... interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody got a better theory ?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Possible lamination peel on the planchet...perhaps before being struck? (or laminated, stuck then peeled)

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file