Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Results of my first significant experience with the sticker companies

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 24, 2017 8:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been putting together my collection of 1950-70 proofs over the past 7 years while at the same time having read about the sticker companies on the board during that period. Before this I've never put any of my coins up for their review. A few weeks ago I took the step and sent some coins to both CAC and QA for review. Really just for the fun of having a few additional experts give their opinions on my coins, but also hoping to eventually benefit from a higher retail value at some point down the road as I upgrade my collection. All of the coins submitted were PCGS coins.

First my CAC results, of my primary collection only the Franklin series was eligible for CAC review. I sent in 20 coins, primarily the coins from my Franklin set are either maxed out or nearly so, but also adding one proof Mercury and an Iowa commemorative. They stickered 13 of the 20 coins, no gold, 65%...not too bad. I was only surprised by a couple of the ones that didn't sticker, and was pleased with others that did receive a CAC sticker. Most of those that didn't sticker were either toned or spotted, so really no big surprises.

You could say I got a bit more carried away with what I sent to QA ending up with 99 coins that I sent to @segoja for his opinion (okay, a lot carried away). I have great respect for James Sego and looked forward to getting his opinion on my coins much more eagerly than I waited for my CAC results. 30 of the coins I sent had what I'd consider to be pretty significant toning, only 6 of them did not receive a QA sticker...one received a Gold. Looking at some of the ones that didn't sticker, I think I can see why not as in some instances the toning seems to be spotty and/or spotted. Of the other 69 coins, all but 8 stickered, overall 85 of 99 coins stickered 85.9%. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic at the results.

I'm anxious to receive both submissions back to see what comments they may have provided on the ones that didn't make the cut.

This was my one Gold from QA.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have some extra money floating around, it would be interesting to see if any of your CAC coins would not get a QA sticker. B)

• Options

Sounds like a great idea...except the two companies appear to have complementary business practices and by my reading don't accept any overlapping series.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just thinking out loud....

But if the sticker rate at QA is really around 85%....I'm not sure how useful the designation really is!

(Of course, it could also be that ModCrewman's coins were Just That Good.....)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

Perhaps, it's hard to find a modern coin that won't sticker. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great results.... of course a true study would now be to send the submissions to the 'other' company for comparison..... to do that, though, fairly, you would have to remove the existing stickers... so not really worth the effort.... just would be statistically interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I believe QA's rate is under 50%...so indeed my coins WERE just that good. :)

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:
    Sounds like a great idea...except the two companies appear to have complementary business practices and by my reading don't accept any overlapping series.

They both sticker business strike Ikes I believe.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "If you have some extra money floating around, it would be interesting to see if ..."
    ...you could buy some nice coins instead of plastic stickers.
    ;)

• Options

@RogerB said:
    RE: "If you have some extra money floating around, it would be interesting to see if ..."
    ;)

LOL, I've been doing both @RogerB.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:

@RogerB said:
    ;)

LOL, I've been doing both @RogerB.

We're all forced to be students of both numismatics, AND the numismatic marketplace. (They don't always overlap....)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this in change the other day. I felt like I scored.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very eye appealing 1967 cent.

SMS I assume.

• Options

It's a CRH's dream - and it is unique as there is not another like it!

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    That is a very eye appealing 1967 cent.

SMS I assume.

Yes, it is an SMS.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    ;)

One of the reasons I have extra money floating around is because I sent coins to CAC before I sold them. If you are happy leaving 15-100% of your money on the table, keep thinking the above.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file