Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Selling a coin to a buyer at a coin show using paypal.

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the pitfalls? Do you hang on to the coin and ship it later? What are your thoughts?

THanks

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a buyer, I have purchased at a show this way. Verify funds are in your account, and let the coin leave with the buyer. The buyer has had the opportunity to view the coin in hand. Should be a win win for both.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have sold this way before. He sends the money, I see I have it I give him the coin. I am sure there are pitfalls but I have only done it a few times. Once or twice it was just for part of the purchase as the buyer was just trying to buy more than cash they had on hand.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since it is a sight seen deal I believe there would be a NO return policy in place.
    Am I wrong on this thinking?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat, that's my concern, what if they get home and say they never got it....

• Options

I believe that cash is still KING at coin shows!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point. There is no proof of delivery. If the customer is not well known I would be sure to have him sign that he received the coin.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Additional signed form would be helpful. The buyer should ask what the seller's return policy is though that tends to be uncomfortable. Certified vs. raw, problems can always develop. Honest dealers have nothing to fear.

• Options

Honest collectors have nothing to fear!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did it recently at a local coin shop - worked fine as a buyer - as a seller, not sure what all the implications are - signed paperwork??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would consult the website or call PayPal about their point of purchase sales.

For my point of purchase sales, I use square, but I think PayPal is going after that market.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017 6:17PM

I would prepare a signing receipt for an authorization of payment just like any charge on credit card without pin.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    Honest collectors have nothing to fear!

Except for dishonest buyers in this case.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're concerned about a buyer trying to claim they never got the coin. Simply take a photo of them holding the coin with your phone. And of course have them sign as well. This is why I have a PayPal Here, it's sort of like the Square but it works for PayPal and adds the funds directly to your PayPal account for the same fees as a standard PayPal transaction.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a longtime customer of the local coin shop and I usually just leave with what I'm buying and go home and pay via Paypal. They don't seem to have issues with it so I'm happy.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

They can file a charge back through PayPal. If I didn't know the person, I would stick to cash.

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

If you're worried about a buyer pulling some 'scam', simply have them pay via paypal friend/family option. Once money is transfered, that's it, plus, you save the 2.9% paypal fee that can be split with the buyer. Win-Win.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

There must be a reason why paypal and Ebay guarantees do not apply with personal pickup items.
    whatever these are, one can only guess.
    However, there may be a way around it. I am not sure
    One thing i know for sure... Paypal will find a way even if it is over time.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

I am not a fan of paypal, because of their policies(the customer is always right and the dealer is always wrong.)

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Good point. There is no proof of delivery. If the customer is not well known I would be sure to have him sign that he received the coin.

Easy solution, dealer prepares invoice & have buyer sign it w/pod date shown.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017 4:58AM

I take cash only at shows. Pp takes 3pct I set up at shows avoid that lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArizonaRareCoins said:
    If you're worried about a buyer pulling some 'scam', simply have them pay via paypal friend/family option. Once money is transfered, that's it, plus, you save the 2.9% paypal fee that can be split with the buyer. Win-Win.

Gee whiz.....call it what you will, it's still stealing......

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paypal gift, ONLY WAY.

You can have all the pictures, contracts, etc in the world, and that will help you on a CIVIL case, but does not impress paypal one bit. They may help you get the person's paypal account suspended, but YOU are still toast.

I am amazed at all the "great comments" that simply are in total contravention to the terms and conditions of paypal, and bottom line, YOU are left holding a big empty bag. Your contract is with Paypal, and THEIR rules, not with advice givers on an internet chat board.

Read your terms and conditions. The following is an extract from PP website, editing out stuff that does not apply.

Paypal Website: What are the requirements for Seller Protection?
    Initial Requirements
    Ship to the address on the Transaction Details page. If the item was sold through your site, make sure you’re shipping the item to a confirmed address.

What isn’t covered by Seller Protection?
    Most PayPal transactions are covered as long as they follow these requirements. However, there are instances where Seller Protection doesn’t apply:
    Claims, chargebacks, or reversals filed because the item is significantly different from how it was described (e.g. you described an item as “new,” but sent a used one).

Items picked up locally or in person.

Additional Requirements
    For “Item Not Received” cases:

You must provide online tracking to be eligible for protection.

What is Proof of Delivery?
    Proof of Delivery is online documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:
    The item’s status as delivered.
    The date the item was delivered.
    The recipient's address, showing at least the city and state, or city and country, or zip/postal code (or international equivalent). The address information on your shipping receipt must match the address on the Transaction Details page.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paypal gift is not intended for purchasing goods from a buisness. Paypal gift is for gifting money to someone. I would never use it unless it was for the intended purpose. PP has to make their fee on sales transactions or they can't exist, just like credit cards. Why abuse the system using PP gift?

Many here have mentioned cash is the way to go at shows. At major shows with well known dealers, in my experience, they are just fine with checks, especially if they know you. If they don't, they may hold the coin until the check clears and then ship. I bring my checkbook and maybe $100 cash. At ANA, I paid $3300 cash for something because another dealer paid me cash for selling some coins to them. I had to make a hard effort to the other dealer to take that $3300 cash instead of a check. I had no interest in toting around 33 $100 bills and finally convinced that dealer to take it. So checks seem to be just fine at shows.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do it. But I have the buyer put "Bought in-person at coin show" in the notes if i dont know them. Incase they try to file a case that the item was never shipped I can point to that note the buyer left. Never had to file a case yet but it's just an extra precaution

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every day I get older and gladder that I am.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

At shows, I normally pay cash. If the item exceeds my pocket bank, I either go to an ATM, or, in one case, wrote a check, in one other case, used a CC. I usually take a substantial amount of cash to shows. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

If a credit card through Paypal is used, can’t the buyer ALSO use their credit card’s “buyer protections” to wiggle out of the payment, and possibly keep the item too, if after the purchase, the buyer rightly or wrongly claims a “problem”?
    Doesn’t the credit card company, in many cases of a buyer complaint, immediately return the money to the buyer from the seller, then initiates their investigation?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

How often are people getting screwed in coin transactions? It seems really rare in the circles I move in.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file