Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 Breast Cancer Commemoratives - Pink gold - sort of like Black Hills rose colored gold?

GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 23, 2017 1:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

On March 15, 2018, the U.S. Mint will release the Breast Cancer Awareness series of commemorative coins, ranging from Half Dollars to $5 Gold coins, made from PINK gold and the relief is not domed or high relief.

Are the approved designs out yet?

Will this one out sell the dismal Boy's Club uncirculated gold coin, which so far seems to be the lowest mintage ever for official issued commemoratives?

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017 2:39PM

Gold commems are not a strong category.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why wouldn't the Breast Cancer coin be domed? That seems like a no-brainer...curved coin , cupped, shapely...and high relief should've been green lighted. The new 2018 Bust coin. Instant sellout! At least it'll be pink gold.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017 4:36PM

@Onastone said:
    Why wouldn't the Breast Cancer coin be domed? That seems like a no-brainer...curved coin , cupped, shapely...and high relief should've been green lighted. The new 2018 Bust coin. Instant sellout! At least it'll be pink gold.

I've been pushing that joke for over a year now. No one wants to bite on it.

It's only going to be 85% gold. Can they still call it a half-eagle?

Edit: In case anyone doesn't know, they $5 gold for this commem will be 85% gold, 14.8% copper, and 0.2% zinc. This causes the coin to be pink in color. I don't think anyone knows if they increased the weight of the coin to match gold content like they do with AGE's...

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017 4:49PM

@Goldminers said:
    On March 15, 2018, the U.S. Mint will release the Breast Cancer Awareness series of commemorative coins, ranging from Half Dollars to $5 Gold coins, made from PINK gold and the relief is not domed or high relief.

Are the approved designs out yet?

Not designs, design:

Replace the "Five Dollars" with "One Dollar" and "Half Dollar" for the silver and clad.

Now, considering there's a girl on the Boys Town and Boy Scout commems, should there be a guy on this one? Silly question...

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

I'll take 2

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The legislation required "pink gold." The Mint is doing what it can within that requirement. The piece will contain the correct amount of gold.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe we could limit the jokes to those sensitive to the topic of breast cancer.

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Maybe they should put this image on the reverse of the coin .

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a symbolism to having a butterfly on the coin? I understood the poppies on the WWI commemorative but not these butterflies.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain the symbolism.

Mark

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mark.... Good question, I was wondering about that as well....It seems the butterfly will be on both sides... so should have some meaning... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko I agree it's a good question. I'm still hoping someone has a good answer.

Mark

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭

@Mark said:
    @ricko I agree it's a good question. I'm still hoping someone has a good answer.

Found this online: amoena.com/us-en/amoena-life/breast-cancer-and-the-butterfly/

• Options

@nencoin Thanks very much. I had some time now so I also went looking online. It seems like many of the butterflies are created using the breast cancer ribbon as the body. Too bad the artist didn't do that with the coin's design.

Mark

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nencoin.... Thank you.... that explains it very well.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I’d be interested if they did something for ALL cancers.
    As it is, not interested at all.

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 3:08AM

As being a stage 4 cancer survivor, that's the biggest joke I've ever seen, or heard .
    They can take that saying and butterfly, and stick it straight up their A?S ...

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

This coin is offensive. #AllCancersMatter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file