Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Doubled Profile 1833 Large Cent

What do you folks make of this piece ?

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017 11:06AM

This is fairly common. Yours is one of the largest spreads I've seen. I was told that the profile was punched into the die twice but I've read something to dispute this. Let's see what the experts say.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin.
    I'm going to suggest die bounce/mechanical doubling.
    It's fairly prevalent on the large cents from the mid-1830's.
    I will try and post my '34 later tonight, that has a similar spread as this one.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Agree with Walkerguy. Both the Dan Holmes &
    Adam Mervis collections refer to it as Die Bounce.
    This example appears to be N-2 with a very wide
    double profile. It would help if both obv. & rev.
    were shown.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

@Walkerguy21D said: "I'm going to suggest die bounce/mechanical doubling. It's fairly prevalent on the large cents from the mid-1830's."

From what I've seen, It is common on large cents from the teens and Capped Bust half dollars. Must have something to do with the screw press.

What I've never understood is why is there never any "die bounce ?" on the date and stars? Please explain. B)

• Options
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Thanks. That's a nice presentation. Funny thing. I've possibly read enough information/explanation dealing with the different types of doubling found on coins that would fit into a normal sized book about 1/4 inch thick and I'm still not satisfied. I guess I would need to see Dan Carr make a large cent die by the old methods and duplicate this effect. The dies for the coins in question were made in a different way.

• Options

Very good question posed that I never really thought about.
    I guess the older types are more prone to doubling on the highest profiles, which was explained in one of sections of one of the links.
    The newer high speed high tonnage presses apparently can double anywhere there is a vibration.
    Maybe one of the real experts will come along and enlighten both of us!

• Options

Paid a small premium for this, as I had to have it, and it was part of a favorable multi coin swap and purchase:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several of those cents, but none have the doubled face.... that would be interesting... must watch for that....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file