Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Weird eBay Auction

Came across these two strange auctions, where someone is promoting a raw modern cent as a top pop coin. I really wish I could see the "best offer accepted" price...anyway, these are odd. User only had these two auctions. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Do eBayers get away with promoting modern raws as top pops and get a premium for it?!? Seems crazy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-P-Lincoln-Shield-Cent-Looks-Like-MS68-RED-REGISTRY-500-Dollar-Value-/172861175675?hash=item283f54377b:g:Wx8AAOSwKBVZtqHz

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-P-Lincoln-Shield-Cent-Looks-Like-MS68-RED-REGISTRY-500-Dollar-Value-/172802550687?hash=item283bd5ab9f:g:yuUAAOSwVRNZgNEc

to live outside the law, you must be honest ---- bd

Comments

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2017 6:31PM

The first coin sold for $200.

The second coin sold for $150.

I'm guessing the first coin was returned since it was relisted for $30, but it's no longer available and was taken down by the seller.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen that done with raw baseball cards also listing them as top pop PSA 10's and for some reason they are allowed to get away with it. I know this because I reported a few of them and the auctions were allowed to stay up and run their course.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sellers are not allowed to put grades in their eBay listings if the coins are not holdered by a proper TPG.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay will take down raw coin auctions that indicate a value. Not allowed.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok, sounds good.
    But is that for US coins only?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

I'm not sure that's true. You can't indicate a numerical grade unless TPG. You can indicate a non numerical grade "XF" with a catalog value.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another valid reason I do not buy or sell on Ebay.

I do however look at 'sold' auction prices there :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I do look at coins on ebay.... not regularly, but occasionally - I do very little business there. I know other forum members find treasures and buy/sell regularly. I use it mainly for reference or when looking for something special....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@AUandAG said:

I'm not sure that's true. You can't indicate a numerical grade unless TPG. You can indicate a non numerical grade "XF" with a catalog value.

It's true, he puts MS68 and $500 in the title and that's a violation:.
    From ebay:

Listings for raw coins must follow these guidelines:
    The numeric grade (such as MS-65, VF-25) isn't included in the title, description, or item specifics of the listing.
    No estimate of value (even if personal opinion) or reference to a price guide is included in the title or description.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@1630Boston said:
    Just another valid reason I do not buy or sell on Ebay.

I do however look at 'sold' auction prices there :smile:

So, you're saying that you don't use eBay because you aren't able to recognize that a raw cent isn't worth $200?

There's a ton of certified material. All the AP's do business there. You don't have to if you don't want to, but somebody trying to get $200 for a cent isn't exactly the best reason I've ever heard.

• Options

@AUandAG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AUandAG said:

It's true, he puts MS68 and $500 in the title and that's a violation:.
    From ebay:

Listings for raw coins must follow these guidelines:
    The numeric grade (such as MS-65, VF-25) isn't included in the title, description, or item specifics of the listing.
    No estimate of value (even if personal opinion) or reference to a price guide is included in the title or description.

That's odd. I do it all the time, although mostly with stamps. I often reference the greysheet in the listing body. Never had an auction ended for that reason.

• Options

@Kyle said:
    The first coin sold for $200.

The second coin sold for $150.

I'm guessing the first coin was returned since it was relisted for $30, but it's no longer available and was taken down by the seller.

Those links don't work for me...but if those prices are real, especially for those photos, that's crazy. I can't believe someone would buy those.

to live outside the law, you must be honest ---- bd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file