Home Sports Talk
Options

The $10,000,000 head coach gets his butt kicked in Orlando.

124»

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michigan was good, fast and physical, whipped our ass the first half. Saban made adjustments and Bama won.

How long can Harbaugh survive? He wins some big games but is 0 for against OSU.

Bama ran Curry when he couldn't beat Auburn.

What do Michigan fans think of Harbaugh at this seasons end? And who do you hire?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Michigan was good, fast and physical, whipped our ass the first half. Saban made adjustments and Bama won.

What do Michigan fans think of Harbaugh at this seasons end? And who do you hire?

I honestly don't feel like Alabama adjusted all that much defensively. Michigan changed their offensive gameplan for no reason. And, of course, that left Michigan relying on a quarterback who got badly outplayed by a backup.

As for Harbaugh, there's a large contingent wanting him gone but far less than early in the year. Definitely a lot of unrest regarding the lack of quality quarterback play during his tenure.

Me? I want Michigan to get PJ Fleck or Matt Rhule. Fleck won't happen since he just signed an extension and the B1G frowns on poaching coaches.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alabama's backup was a four star. He would be a starter on most power 5 teams.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 3, 2020 7:54AM

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

I honestly don't feel like Alabama adjusted all that much defensively. Michigan changed their offensive gameplan for no reason.

-- Saban explained the adjustments made on defense at halftime. He noted Michigan hurt them in the running game using two tight ends and two receivers “which we tried to play regular. And, you know, we play so much nickel and so little regular,” Saban said. We moved to nickel after halftime “which gives us more multiples of things that we can do. We're a little smaller on the field when we do that, but it's easier to adjust and the players did a really good job of it and we were able to pressure more, which really helped us stop the run.”

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

College Football has changed in terms of that there is greater parity today than at any time in the past. Further, programs in general are cyclical ... Look at Southern Cal and Clemson... Today and for the past few years Clemson has been on top of the College Football World... 30 to 55 years ago Southern Cal was on top. And on top of all of this , we have experienced an unprecedented realignment of major conferences. Alumni are tied to the past and have little appreciate for what exists today. Michigan will not likely ever get the coach to satisfy the alumni. While Harbaugh is well paid... Very well paid... Extremely well paid... But at the end of the day, part of what he is doing is attempting to satisfy a certain group of powerful folks who will never be satisfied until we turn the clock back to 1947... And that is simply not going to happen.

Harbaugh is good coach. Michigan has a great tradition and they play each week with a target on their back... As does Ohio State, Southern Cal, Oklahoma and Alabama among a selected group of others. At some point, it seems probable that this will be the job that no one in their right mind would want. A young and bright coach would rather create his own legacy elsewhere than try to met the legacy that has been enhanced over time to the point that it becomes an impossible expectation. Who needs that? P. J. Fleck should stay at Minnesota mainly because this is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Harbaugh remains the best hope for Michigan football. His possible demise would be the result of the instant gratification that is the new expectation. And instant gratification extends well beyond sports but to life in general. Sad...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:

Harbaugh remains the best hope for Michigan football. His possible demise would be the result of the instant gratification that is the new expectation. And instant gratification extends well beyond sports but to life in general. Sad...

I agree with much of your post, coinkat. Never an alumni but a longtime Michigan fan until the payrolls got stupid at the expense kids on the gridiron getting there heads pounded into the turf on every play.

At a market salary of say $3,000,000 I would agree that harbaugh is a serviceable play caller that is doing about as well as can be expected given the reality of twenty first century college football. But half a decade ago and with great fanfare and an insane contract, , Harbaugh was brought in to beat Ohio State and challenge for a national title.

He has gone a full cycle of recruiting so playing with another coaches recruits is no longer an excuse. Let us not forget that universities such as Michigan are for educating young men and women and not handing players that have not yet mastered English a scholarship that in many cases is worth nothing.

Slowly that is changing so that the money men on the field, not the sidelines, will have a chance at a fair compensation.

• Options

Oh and just for the record, it seems that there was no type set change after the Michigan -Notre Dame game.... Any reason or was it just not the outcome anticipated? And to add to my view... It seems instant gratification has an expiration date.

• Options

Well there was no title change as michigan won. To get to a title game you need to go undefeated or maybe lose ony one game, so every loss is significant, when you are the ten million dollar man.

Think about this. Michigan sells about 700,000 tickets a season. Harbaugh gets about $13 for each seat sold. Sure, I know that the real money is in the TV contract, but the schlub sprawled on on the field after a hard hit, well he gets an ace bandage and a nice roast beef supper.

In a decade when he is limping to his job at the convenience store, he can boast "hey, I played for Coach Jim at Michigan" I guess that is better than a paycheck,

• Options

And Michigan still may challenge whoever for a National title... That storyline has yet to happen and when it happens remains a real question whether it happens with or without Harbaugh. Is Harbaugh being paid too much? If that is your sole argument, I likely would agree. Is he a coach that has not been effective or not met expectations? I suspect we would argue as to whether the expectations were reasonable... And I would argue as I did that the expectations are predicated in the past that simply are not applicable given how College Football has changed.

My point is that parity exists today simply did not exist during the days of Woody and Bo... And further, we have a east and west division in the Big Ten with 14 members. I rejected and laughed at the prospect of Maryland or Rutgers ever being Big Ten members. And that is predicated on tradition... Maryland and Rutgers have little if any ties to any of the traditional Big Ten schools other than Penn State whom I do not consider to be a traditional Big Ten School even though it has its own independent tradition that should be well respected... And I respect that.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Harbaugh wants to win the OSU game and possibly a national championship, then he needs to start slappin' his players around. There's no problem that can't be solved with a good glove.

• Options

Remember the Michigan vs South Carolina bowl game two years ago? Michigan also had the lead at halftime and then looked awful in the second half. The whole team played like crap as South Carolina won the game. Same thing happened in the Alabama game. I think at some point, in my opinion, the coach has to take the blame.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

In the last 20 years, Rutgers has more bowl wins than Michigan.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 3, 2020 9:11PM

@coolstanley said:
    Remember the Michigan vs South Carolina bowl game two years ago? Michigan also had the lead at halftime and then looked awful in the second half. The whole team played like crap as South Carolina won the game. Same thing happened in the Alabama game. I think at some point, in my opinion, the coach has to take the blame.

This is what I say to those who don't know I've why been calling for Harbaugh to be fired for two years. It's not the record. It's all the stuff that reflects poor coaching. It's the failure to recruit and play a starting quarterback of his own. It's the defense that gets torched against quality teams. It's the "up-tempo" offense that literally never goes up-tempo. And on and on and on.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    This what I try to get to who don't why been calling for Harbaugh be fired for two years.

I think Tabe had a stroke.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2020 9:10PM

@dallasactuary said:

@Tabe said:
    This what I try to get to who don't why been calling for Harbaugh be fired for two years.

Or he became an NBA center.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2020 9:14PM

@dallasactuary said:

@Tabe said:

My tablet keyboard has started malfunctioning, doing weird stuff like changing words after I type them. Like in that sentence. (I've changed to a new one so hopefully I will appear semi-literate going forward).

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

One fact that seems to be overlooked is that Alabama had a better team than Michigan.

• Options

Patience is one of the most underrated virtues that exists...

And now is as a good as any time to bring to life a thread to illustrate the point.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2022 9:11AM

@coinkat said:
    Patience is one of the most underrated virtues that exists...

......The Most Important Virtue??

• Options

Now watch them get embarrassed again in the playoffs.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Like 52-24 or 31-0.......... :p

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

Like 52-24 or 31-0.......... :p

44-16 :D

Ignore list -Basebal21