Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Boerne Coins and Collectibles is now closed

Well I needed to do something when my daughter was in school, and I had some coins, some books, some free time--so I opened the shop in Boerne Texas. I gotta tell you, running a coin shop was a total blast--I got to see all kinds of treasure walk in the door--I was able to own, if only briefly, coins I had read about or dreamed about. The store also bought gold and silver, so people brought me all kinds. I decided to be the best shop I could be, so whatever the other guys paid--I paid more--every once in a while I lost a bid but it wasn't for lack of trying--mostly, lack of funds. It is so very hard to have any liquid cash, since it gets tied up in purchases. Some months, the rent check was hard to get unless I ran to the refiner. But its been 6 years, and now my daughter is in her last year of University, and she wants us to live with her before we retire to the Philippines in a year--so today I turned the lights out and locked the door for the last sales day. My goal was happy customers, never to be an example here on the boards as a bad shop, and to be able to look myself in the mirror and know I didn't screw anyone. So now, I have lots of coins, lots of books and looking for some free time. Estate sales, garage sales, Ebay here I come.

Comments

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to learn that you have closed your coin shop, but I understand your thinking. I, too, recently retired and closed down a longstanding business of 40+ years, although not a coin dealership. It's hard to give up a way of life, but sometimes life dictates these things. I wish you luck in your future endeavors, whatever they may be.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict you will never regret closing. If it was successful, it speaks to how well you ran it and you should be quite well prepared for whatever you choose to do.
    Congratulations! :)

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I could have owned a shop. Lots of work but lots of fun at the same time. Congratulations.

Larry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck in the future. Your pride in your shop and business is obvious and a reward in itself. I hope you will continue to be a forum member and contributor. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2017 2:18PM

Carlsbad, Carlsbad, Lawlessness, Kaelasdad, oh dear God, spellcheck is strange. Anyway, Kaelasdad, I know know the feeling. Last April I sold off a major part of the business. When I walked out of that empty building for the last time it felt like I'd lost my best friend. Really bummed out. So.....I took Mrs. Hydrant, the four Hydrant boys and their lovely wives, and all nine of the mini-Hydrants on a vacation to Colorado. There I was, perched high on the mesa looking out over the Earth below and wondering, what am I going to do for the rest of my life? Surrounded by mother nature in all her glorious beauty and being the center of attention of all 18 loving Hydrants just didn't cut it. God, was I a pitiful, self-absorbed, staggering drunk wreck. Just a shadow of my former radiant self. All the Hydrants were worried. Would Big Daddy Hydrant ever be the same? I couldn't let 'em down. So......I went back to work. Now I ferry little Hydrants around town; to and from kindergarten, swimming lessons, ice cream shops, candy stores, whatever their little hearts desire is my command. I sort pipe fittings, stock shelves, sweep the floor, take out the trash, polish fire extinguishers, flirt with the pretty secretaries, and just hang out. AND....I have more time to play with coins! Retirement is great! I've never been more busy in my life. I've always been lucky. That's the only way it can be explained. It certainly wasn't brains or a charming personality. I have neither of those. I could never pay back All the caring and generous people who helped me along the way. Life is a gift. It's precious. Enjoy it. Every fleeting minute of it.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

You sound like a great coin store owner, thanks :smile:
    Best of lick to you and your family, I;m sure you will do well :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

I will miss the people, some customers came in 2 or more times a week just to sit and listen to the BS stories others would sit and tell. I wanted a small town shop, with small town management, we took checks, we took IOUs, we traded, we covered people who needed a day or two but wanted to see if they could buy their stuff back--we were not a pawn shop, never aspired to be one. We wanted to be a little store in a little town, the last 2 years I didnt even bother putting a sign up when we moved 2 doors down. I didnt want 10 people in the shop at one time, we hand coins, jewelry, you name it all over the shop, and yeah, I knew where everything was--and never had one piece go missing. Yes, it was cool, but what made it cool was the energy and the vibrancy of the customers who came in and trusted me to do the right thing. That, those friends, will be missed.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a cool post! Congrats for being an honest coin dealer and great luck to you and your family for the future!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2017 4:53PM

I wish I had one of those near me.....

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best wishes in your future endeavors !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Sounds like it was a GREAT shop...best of luck in your future!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file