Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looks like a cool carved Hobo nickel, is it special in some way?

GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Description,

Seems someone knows something about this cool HOBO nickel, George Washington “Bo” Hughes ???? I've heard some of these are considered folk art of sorts. Outside of my personal expertise, but interesting.

[ https://www.ebay.com/itm/202085236638]

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin was removed!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2017 12:48AM

Coin is still there. The link just has an extra square bracket. Here's a working link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202085236638

It's currently at $587.00 with 4d 17h to go.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice hobo but I don't get the price based solely on these pics.

On the 2x2 there is something crossed out, likely the price and it does not appear to be anywhere near as large as the bids. This was in a dealer's case for far less at one time, it appears.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market foundation for "original" hobo nickels has always mystified me. I understand purchasing modern carved "hobo" nickels as pieces of art, but the pricing for those that are deemed "original" baffles me. [That's not an insult to those pieces ... however they are defined, just a comment on the market.]

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might almost understand a strong market for early pieces, but without obvious evidence (that I don't see here, but I am no expert), I don't see how you jump from 25 bucks or less for an aversge modern one to several hundred one for a decent one with ink added to the carving.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

As with all collecting, knowledge is power. There are folks who have studied these pieces and formed a club. Some obvious things I can tell you based on VERY LITTLE KNOWLEDGE and looking at these things closely:

1. Very often, the tools used to make "vintage Hobo's" were crude.
    2. Modern repro's and many modern carvers mostly use machine tools for their engraving.
    3. Any artistic original piece took time to make.

There are other things to look for - using high magnification, you may figure out some possible clues; but these three cannot be refuted.

Another I just thought of: Many of these pieces BOTH OLD AND NEW are "artistic gems." B)

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told that the modern tools leave different marks but never had a chance to compare the two side by side.

Larry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just as paintings by the 'Old Master's command high prices, so do original hobo nickels. The mystique attached to them, being carved in an old railroad car or lot by a fire with beans cooking, adds a special aura to such gems. Also, as mentioned above, being done with rudimentary tools in such conditions speaks to the effort entailed. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file