Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about copper Lincoln memorial cents

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a market for these, since they are copper not being made anymore?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    TeamDennisTeamDennis Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

To my knowledge, no one is paying for than a penny for them. Most dealers only pay 2 cents for wheat pennies.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a local speculator who pays 1.2c per coin.
    Not really worth it at 60c a roll.
    I guess it would be if you had several thousand dollars face.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

There was a push a few years back when copper was shoting up. Some people were collecting them hoping the govt would allow them to be melted legally.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Local coin dealer sell ROLLS BU coppers for 75 cents, dating back to 1959.

So almost 60 years, a 25 a roll increase.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.. my gallon (or two) of wheaties has not appreciated much in value... though, there could be a good coin or two in there since I have not searched them.....I keep saying 'one cold, snowy, winter day', but I always have other things to work on... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Lincoln memorials have two big strikes against them; millions of each date were set aside and very little demand exists for any of them.

But they also have several factors working strongly in their favor. Many of the coins set aside were ugly and are now tarnished as well. A lot of the coins have been released back into circulation over the years and some dates were not saved in massive quantities. Finding nice pristine examples of 1968, '71, or '71-S cents is not so easy as most imagine. Some dates are really fairly scarce without excessive marking like the '79-D.

While the most expensive roll is the '71-S ($8), there are lot of coins in this series that are overlooked and undervalued. The attrition on these is still staggeringly high and the attrition on cents in circulation will probably approach 100% in aggregate within months after production ceases. Already there are several dates that are very elusive including seemingly "easy" dates like the 1966. This is caused by the fact these coins are now less than worthless so tend to get discarded or lost. The '66 saw significant circulation for many years when an individual cent still had a tiny value.

This date was not heavily saved either.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Yep.. my gallon (or two) of wheaties has not appreciated much in value... though, there could be a good coin or two in there since I have not searched them.....I keep saying 'one cold, snowy, winter day', but I always have other things to work on... :D:D Cheers, RickO

That sounds like a chore for a set of young eyes.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go through a few cent rolls on occasion, and while my copper % approaches 20% per roll (mostly Memorials), only two or three per roll are in decent shape (the rest have crud, corrosion, etc.)

I save all copper cents for some as yet un-concocted future project.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

un-concocted..?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2017 1:34PM

I cashed in my 40,000 or so copper Lincolns a few months ago after finding absolutely no market for them. :smile:

Bought a roll of ASE's......................................now I have more storage space :smile::smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    I cashed in my 40,000 or so copper Lincolns a few months ago after finding absolutely no market for them. :smile:

Bought a roll of ASE's......................................now I have more storage space :smile::smile:

they do take up a lot of space don't they?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@grip said:
    un-concocted..?

Maybe "not yet concocted".....spell check tried to warn me.

• Options

@1630Boston said:

I guess pennies ARE good for something after all.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I toss the copper ones I get in change into a bucket.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are all totally unprepared for the upcoming zinc shortage!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck..... Eyes are still good... with a little help from a Sirchie magnifier from time to time ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks cladking, great post!

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to give my 1960's uncirc rolls of memorial cents to my grandaughter in her Christmas stocking every year. She can have the fun of searching them for weird varieties that I have a very hard time finding an interest. And I will help fill a few holes in an album. Thus the cycle starts........

OINK

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat, you are probably aware that Rich has always been a buyer of Cents, been hoarding them ever since I can remember. we sort them and have bags and bags by decade but the overall market has softened. we pay .012 for the Copper Cents(1959-1982) and anywhere from .03-.11 for Wheats, depending on the date range. there seems to be buyers right now for the Wheats but not for Copper Cents although we probably have 75-100 bags. he must figure it's like money in the bank until the price of copper shoots up again.

back in late 2013 we sold close to 250 bags of Wheat Cents to SilverTowne!! :)

• Options
    aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭

Copper looks like it's on the rise lately, do you think electric cars will make the demand for copper go even higher?

I still call my accumulation my collection!
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I find them.i keep them in a bag. Figure I only paid 1 cent for It. Will probably never be able to do anything with them bit hey you never know

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file