Options

GTG 1860-S Seated Dime

ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

Comments

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 and stunning!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 If that's rub on the head. If not 63+.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64...... Perhaps I am grading the picture, but that looks like a great coin..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    MS64...... Perhaps I am grading the picture, but that looks like a great coin..... Cheers, RickO

Yeah I agree....could go 58+ to 64ish

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever the grade, it is a very nice 1860-S ~ one of my favorite Liberty Seated Dime issues.

Dan Fan
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 2:27PM

I'm in the either 58 or 63 camp... I'm horrible determining rub from photos. Nice coin and a difficult date to boot!

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said: "I'm horrible determining rub from photos. "

Let's take a try together...you go first. Describe what you see on the coin to me as I cannot see it. :wink:

PS It should be very helpful for me and Mvs7 if other posters describe what they see on the coin that formed their opinion of its grade.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2017 4:52PM

@Insider2 said:
    @mvs7 said: "I'm horrible determining rub from photos. "

Let's take a try together...you go first. Describe what you see on the coin to me as I cannot see it. :wink:

I won't completely take the bait on that given your ;), but what I will comment is that when I have a coin in hand, I move/tilt it under light to discern if there are breaks in the luster. Easy enough. ;) In photos, I know these can show up as color variations... but this also could indicate toning, shadows, etc. This, in a nutshell, is why I don't like grading from photos. On this coin, other posters have mentioned rub on the head. I don't think that's rub, because of the streak of toning and non-toning that both continue from the head into the field at 5:00 direction. That makes me think that this is just toning. On the back, what some might think is wear, I think is just a weaker strike in the legend and top of the wreath. So, that leaves along the legs, and I don't think that's wear, either, but... hence my 58 or 63 guess. I lean toward the 63 guess.

• Options

@mvs7 said: "I'm horrible determining rub from photos..." and "...I won't completely take the bait on that given your ;) ..."

My post was not intended as "bait." I had some good instruction and wanted to pass it on. So, never mind, looks like you have everything figured out after all. You may wish to take a look at this posters 1866-S dime also. All the best. B)

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this coin raw from a Bowers auction back in 1996 and gave $481. I'm thinking it was a mail bid. It was listed as an AU-53.
    In 2006 PCGS gave it the same grade, AU-53. I'm happy with most everything I bought from Mr. Bowers back in those days.

Larry

• Options

AU58 and please enter me in the giveaway! :D

• Options
    edited October 20, 2017 12:54AM

@Insider2 said:
    My post was not intended as "bait." I had some good instruction and wanted to pass it on. So, never mind, looks like you have everything figured out after all. You may wish to take a look at this posters 1866-S dime also. All the best. B)

Didn't mean to offend, Insider2, I just meant that you were hinting there wasn't anything to find, but offering me the opportunity to find something anyway. Anything instructional is welcomed... it's one of the main reasons I like this forum. I definitely don't have everything figured out.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    I bought this coin raw from a Bowers auction back in 1996 and gave $481. I'm thinking it was a mail bid. It was listed as an AU-53.
    In 2006 PCGS gave it the same grade, AU-53. I'm happy with most everything I bought from Mr. Bowers back in those days.

Heck of a 53 - is it heavily hairlined or something that would bring the grade down - i.e. evidence of scrubbing?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2017 9:50AM

@mvs7 said:

@Insider2 said:

Didn't mean to offend, Insider2, I just meant that you were hinting there wasn't anything to find, but offering me the opportunity to find something anyway. Anything instructional is welcomed... it's one of the main reasons I like this forum. I definitely don't have everything figured out.

None taken. :) No wrong answer. You mentioned some weakness on the head. Great place to start. I also expected some poster to write something like this: "It looks like the center of the right obverse field is a little darker than the field around Liberty or the stars."

When I'm given a coin is a grading class, that's what I'm asked to do. Talk about what I see on the coin. Then, the class can talk about what caused it BUT we need to see it first and tell others who may have not seen the coin yet what it looks like. That's how we arrive at a grade in class. I believe the professional graders do it mentally in a few seconds.

Anyway, the grades have been given. There is a difference between this dime and the 1866-S.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2017 9:55AM

Possibly a 62/63 today under market acceptable grading. But the coin did circulate for a considerable period as the right central obverse field is missing most of its luster. A coin I would have only bought as an AU decades ago. Nice coin for the date. For myself, I tend to buy these in low MS grades if the field luster is basically full.

Oops. Just noted the coin was graded as AU53. Never mind............The light scratches just above the date could have netted this down from a 55. It looks to have 1/2 to 2/3 of original luster.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

@roadrunner said:
    Possibly a 62/63 today under market acceptable grading. But the coin did circulate for a considerable period as the right central obverse field is missing most of its luster. A coin I would have only bought as an AU decades ago. Nice coin for the date. For myself, I tend to buy these in low MS grades if the field luster is basically full.

Oops. Just noted the coin was graded as AU53. Never mind............The light scratches just above the date could have netted this down from a 55.

I do that so much that "never mind" should have an emoji! Grading is subjective. Nevertheless, IMO, this coin has too much definite wear on the obverse (and possibly other detractions) to slide into a MS holder. I would have been an excellent coin to discuss before the grade was posted.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin very much regardless of the AU-53 grade.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to be in the 62 or 63 camp

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Thanks @Insider2, your comments were very instructive, and it is enlightening to compare the 66-S and 60-S relative to your comments, even already knowing the grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file