Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sending in Coins for Grading

I have a bundle of coins ready to send in to be graded. The problem is at the post office they've told me that they can't insure the value of them unless I send them registered mail. The max value that they say they can do on Express is $5000. How does everyone send their higher value coins in to be graded?

Comments

• BeerockBeerock Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Thanks Ironman, looks like registered it is.

• zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Registered or break up into separate packages. Registered takes longer.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered is the best.

Larry

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're not in a big hurry, USPS Registered is tops. Now go get some of that annoying brown tape. Its required so they can stamp it to death.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

@REALGATOR said:
    If you're not in a big hurry, USPS Registered is tops. Now go get some of that annoying brown tape. Its required so they can stamp it to death.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zski123 said:
    Registered or break up into separate packages. Registered takes longer.

Yep, but it's faster than the graders.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a side note, i believe up to $50,000 in insurance is now included with registered.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoCalBigMark said:
    On a side note, i believe up to $50,000 in insurance is now included with registered.

Do you mean is now "possible"? It is not included for free, after all.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Value Price
    $0.00 $12.20
    0.01 to 100 $13.00
    100.01 to 500 $15.15
    500.01 to 1000 $16.75
    $1000.01 and up
    17.85 + $1.55 per $1000 of Declared Value
    (up to $50,000 against loss or damage)

Thanks everyone. The coins I'm sending in have some pretty nice ones and the total would be too high to break it up. I'll just get them set up to go registered and wait patiently for them to make it and be graded. These are the first coins I am submitting and contain some great coins including very early silver and some awesome errors. Can't wait to get them back and share.

Thanks Mark, Looks like I'm going to have about another hundred bucks into getting these graded.

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Errors you say? We need to see photos immediately! ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered is the best way for coins of high value. Good luck, look forward to your results. Cheers, RickO

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can add it to your SUM insurance or buy another policy that covers your personal assets even if in transport.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ship Registered, but use "Ship and Insure" for insurance. They are much cheaper than USPS:

www.shipaninsure.com.

Thanks everyone for the help. Coins are in the mail. Now for the tough part, waiting for them to return. This is the first group of coins we have sent in for grading. GoldenEgg, I'll post the trueviews when I get them. I sent in a 3 legged buf, 55 dd obv, 42/41 merc, and my favorite a very nice 22 no D. We'll play GTG when they get back :) .

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group. Looking forward to seeing them.

Larry

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered. I believe that forces the receiver to sign for them, which offers proof they made it there!

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered is a good choice. Insurance it limited to $50k, even though the P.O. will allow much higher values (well over a $million) and charge accordingly.
    Lance.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 for registered. When it just can't get lost, this is your option.

The other method that is reasonably safe is a well-sealed smaller box inside a well-sealed USPS Express (overnight) LARGE box. Thieves tend to swipe little, expensive-looking boxes. The big ones are too hard to conceal..... or so the thinking goes. The overnight packages are in the system for less time which equates to less time for something to go wrong. Postal insurance is expensive for this route and it isn't available above $5000. Interestingly, many private numismatic insurance policies require shipping in this manner.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Registered. I believe that forces the receiver to sign for them, which offers proof they made it there!

Unless you pay extra for restricted delivery, anyone at the receiving address can sign for it tho they are supposed to be asked for identification. Kinda lessens the security nature IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file