Home Sports Talk
Options

Surprised no body has brought this up......so I will!

2»

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I understand team loyalty, but the blind obsession exhibited by the Pat's fans is mind boggling. Call has no effect on my day either way as I am a fan of neither team > @Barndog said:

hate the rule, don't hate the call.

Alaska needs a team.

most people here are Suckhawks fans

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

still boycotting cant say

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a football fan who watched the game in the 1960's and 1970's, I am amazed at how stupid things are getting. These technicalities are IDIOTIC.
    Watched the replay and if the rules say he didn't score there, whoever made up that rule is a pea brained idiot!
    I don't agree that "juggling" the ball is the same as "losing possession" he certainly should have been credited with a TD.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 1:23PM

No matter what you think about whether ASJ regained possession before hitting the pylon (my opinion is that he did) there certainly was not irrefutable visual evidence to overturn the call on the field, which is the criterion for overturning the call in the first place.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last time I remember a touchback coming out of a fumble was 4 or 5 years ago in Denver. Denver intercepted a brady pass and I forget who it was ran it all the way back to the 1 foot line but was showboating and a patriot caught him and slapped his arm.

I'm pretty sure that rolled out the back of the endzone though.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2017 1:31PM

I remember the infamous Leon Lett fumble in the Super Bowl years ago when he started showboating going into the end zone and Don Beebe who was hustling the whole way caught him from behind at the 1 and punched the ball through the end zone. Had Lett scored on that play, the Cowboys would have set the record for most points scored in a Super Bowl game with 59.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    I personally think it's an asinine rule (amid many others), but you can't cast stones at the zebras on this one. They applied the letter of the law correctly. Once that ball left his hands, the standard of proof went completely off the charts. He was in essence forced to complete A-Z in a nanosecond in order to be rewarded 6 points. For those who think that is inherently f'd up, extend your hand so I can hop on the bandwagon. But for those who think the refs blew that call, I'm going to wave as you go by.

Following the letter of the law would require multiple holding calls on each play. Refs used to be allowed a bit of professional interpretation before televisions became wall sized and the replay officials became paid off.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 1:50PM

@bronco2078 said:
    The last time I remember a touchback coming out of a fumble was 4 or 5 years ago in Denver. Denver intercepted a brady pass and I forget who it was ran it all the way back to the 1 foot line but was showboating and a patriot caught him and slapped his arm.

I'm pretty sure that rolled out the back of the endzone though.

that was in 2006 when Champ Bailey intercepted Brady at the goal line and ran it back 99 yards with Pats TE Ben Watson catching up and knocking the ball free a yard before Bailey walked into the endzone. That game was Brady's first playoff loss ever after winning his first 10 playoff games in a row. IIRC it got knocked out of Bailey's hands towards the sideline of the endzone. That was more of a touchback than the play yesterday.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@galaxy27 said:
    I personally think it's an asinine rule (amid many others), but you can't cast stones at the zebras on this one. They applied the letter of the law correctly. Once that ball left his hands, the standard of proof went completely off the charts. He was in essence forced to complete A-Z in a nanosecond in order to be rewarded 6 points. For those who think that is inherently f'd up, extend your hand so I can hop on the bandwagon. But for those who think the refs blew that call, I'm going to wave as you go by.

Following the letter of the law would require multiple holding calls on each play. Refs used to be allowed a bit of professional interpretation before televisions became wall sized and the replay officials became paid off.

I have no earthly idea how the NFL is supposed to properly regulate holding. In my view, if you don't at least allow those behemoths an insta-grab, guys like Von Miller would Tazmanian devil their way to the quarterback for 60 minutes and there would be 10 fractured collarbones per week.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holding is actually pretty easy to call. You can't have your hands outside the frame of the person you are blocking. in other words around the shoulder. And once they get around you if they see the jersey stretch......FLAG.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

One day they will have to allow holding in the trenches

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

No way. If they did:

1) There would be no sacks and QB would have all day to throw.
    2) The RB's would run amuck no matter how good they were.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Holding is actually pretty easy to call. You can't have your hands outside the frame of the person you are blocking. in other words around the shoulder. And once they get around you if they see the jersey stretch......FLAG.

Anything goes inside the shoulder pads? So if an OL latches on to the front of a jersey like a hawk and it almost tears in half when a d-lineman makes a move, you'd swallow your flag?

You sure it is that easy?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

No way. If they did:

There will be no quarterbacks let to play if they don't change something

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

You have to keep the guy in front of you. Once he starts around all you can do is push.

One thing I think should be changed is when the hold is away from the play and does not affect the play.....NO FLAG.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

No way. If they did:

There will be no quarterbacks let to play if they don't change something

m

They have already made a bunch of rules that protects the QB too much. Like a late hit when the defensive man has already left his feet.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

This exact ruling happend last... a week ago, in the Seahawks vs. Rams game. Rams RB Gurley stretched the ball toward the goal, when Seahawks safety Earl Thomas karate chopped his arm. Gurley lost control of the ball for a split second, but in that split second, the ball hit the pylon. Since the pylon is considered out of bounds in the end zone, the play is dead at that point and touchback awarded. Amazing thing is that Earl Thomas did the exact same play (and also against the Rams (!)) three years ago.

Last week 2017:
    https://youtu.be/8FHAuJPYLR0

2014:
    https://youtu.be/N8HzPWbSimo

• Options
    edited October 16, 2017 8:33PM

Yes, but in that Gurley play (and the other play), the ball was CLEARLY out of the back's possession before it touched the pylon. IMO, ASJ regained possession of the ball before it hot the pylon.