Home Sports Talk
Options

Surprised no body has brought this up......so I will!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The TD that was taken away from the Jets......was the WORST call I have ever seen. As per called by Dan Fouts also.
There are 6 levels of bad calls.....6 being the worst.
1) Bad
2) Very Bad
3) Terrible
4) Horrendous
5) Assanine(sp)
6) This call

And I'm not even a Jets fan. If I was the Jets coach......I would have been kicked out of the game!!! GAWD AWFUL!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it sucked

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Horrible call.

The worst I can remember.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was a TD when I saw the replay later but ok call it a fumble why do the patriots get the ball? No patriot was in possession ???

I was in my garage listening to the radio as it happened live not watching so maybe the radio guys didn't explain it well but I was completely lost .

• Options

They say he fumbled it through the end zone because it hit the pylon

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    The TD that was taken away from the Jets......was the WORST call I have ever seen.

This means that you were not watching the 1985 World Series when Don Denkinger stole a World Series from the St. Louis Cardinals and gifted it to the Kansas City Royals.

That's Denkinger in the background starting his safe call while Orta is still more than a yard away from first base.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2017 5:54PM

Or ump Jim Joyce stealing a perfect game from Galarraga.

https://youtu.be/WlDTBDJbNE4

• Options

That was a horrible call, too, but different sport.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Just watched the Jets TD....and yeah it was a TD. Only legitimate explanation is that the replay official had it in the bag for NE.

Another brick in the NFL wall.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2017 6:25PM

I thought the same thing but actually they got the call right. He fumbled before getting to the endzone or pylon.

Not to mention he went down with the ball in his left hand and came up with it in his right. It was a fumble.

• Options

The thing is .....he never lost it.....it never touched the ground. BAD CALL!!

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 6:33PM

He absolutely did lose it. watch the video here and look at the view from behind Jenkins on his left side. You CLEARLY see the ball out of his hand.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/252749/nfl-owes-a-big-explanation-for-austin-sefarian-jenkins-fumble

Go to the 23-27 seconds mark.

• Options

Fans should be cheering the players not the refs 3 minutes later.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    The TD that was taken away from the Jets......was the WORST call I have ever seen.

This means that you were not watching the 1985 World Series when Don Denkinger stole a World Series from the St. Louis Cardinals and gifted it to the Kansas City Royals.

That's Denkinger in the background starting his safe call while Orta is still more than a yard away from first base.

Being a Cardinal hater......I loved that call! ;) The Royals probably win the series anyway.

I also liked it when "Walkem-in-handlebars" got mad and hit a fan...HeHe!

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 6:40PM

Here is a screenshot of when he dropped the ball.

The ball is loose directly in front of Duron Harmon's face then it ended up landing near Jenkins's hands after it hit the pylon. The biggest problem with the refs on this play is they shouldn't have called it a TD to begin with.

• Options

Your avatar is the giveaway. Nice try though.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 7:00PM

My being a Pats fan has nothing to do with clearly seeing the ball leave his hands before scoring a td. The refs blew the call but they blew it by calling a touchdown in the first place regardless of your pointless opinion of my allegiance.

Open your eyes,you can see both of Jenkins hands with no football in them. Yes he lands on top of the ball but it hits the pylon causing the touchback before landing back in his possession.

• Options

Maybe the ball was a bit overinflated.....

• Options
  • Options

It was a horrible call and no way the call on the field should have been overturned.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Your avatar is the giveaway. Nice try though.

LOL, exactly!

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 7:09PM

@grote15 said:
    It was a horrible call and no way the call on the field should have been overturned.

If it didn't get overturned on the scoring replay Belichick would have thrown the red flag. Malcolm Butler was screaming that he dropped the ball the second the ref called a TD.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

If it didn't get overturned on the scoring replay Belichick would have thrown the red flag. Malcolm Butler was screaming that he dropped the ball the second the ref called a TD.

The ball was never dropped. As soon as he hits the pylon, it's a TD and play is over.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I thought the same thing but actually they got the call right. He fumbled before getting to the endzone or pylon.

Not to mention he went down with the ball in his left hand and came up with it in his right. It was a fumble.

That article actually sum sit up pretty well. If there was conclusive evidence on replay to overturn the call, it certainly wasn't evident on the broadcast. Every replay I saw showed that the receiver regained possession before hitting the pylon.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 7:23PM

Now you're just taking this this straight to stupid. Look at the photo of the play i posted where the ball is NOT IN HIS HANDS. Go play the video on the link i posted above it. He drops the ball at :23 seconds then lands on top of it while it hits the pylon. You guys can keep whining about the refs blowing it but you clearly aren't paying attention to what is visibly in front of you. The ref should have never called it a TD to begin with. Had that been NE having a TD overturned there I'm sure every one of you would be on here saying "Yup the refs got the call right." I can honestly care less. My team got the win.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 7:26PM

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

That article actually sum sit up pretty well. If there was conclusive evidence on replay to overturn the call, it certainly wasn't evident on the broadcast. Every replay I saw showed that the receiver regained possession before hitting the pylon.

Thats just it,he didn't regain possession and the ref says he didn't. Yes he landed on top of the ball then rolled with it but it had touched the pylon while free before that causing the touchback.

• Options

once he breaks the plane though it should be a td . And how is the pylon the same as fumbling out the back of the endzone? if you fumbled the ball into your own pylon would it be a safety ?

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 7:32PM

@bronco2078 said:
    once he breaks the plane though it should be a td . And how is the pylon the same as fumbling out the back of the endzone? if you fumbled the ball into your own pylon would it be a safety ?

He didn't break the plane though,it was out of his hands already by the time it hit the pylon. I agree the wording they use makes no sense in that situation.

Had it not hit the pylon we wouldn't even be talking about this. It would have been a fumble then recovery by Jenkins for a td. Hitting the pylon is what caused all of the drama here. It is what it is at this point. That didn't cost the Jets a win.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Now you're just taking this this straight to stupid. Look at the photo of the play i posted where the ball is NOT IN HIS HANDS. Go play the video on the link i posted above it. He drops the ball at :23 seconds then lands on top of it while it hits the pylon. You guys can keep whining about the refs blowing it but you clearly aren't paying attention to what is visibly in front of you. The ref should have never called it a TD to begin with. Had that been NE having a TD overturned there I'm sure every one of you would be on here saying "Yup the refs got the call right." I can honestly care less. My team got the win.

LOL, your avatar belies your attempt at rationalization.

It was a terrible call and should never have been overturned.

Your photo, btw is when he's at about the 2 yard line, but good try, lol.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 7:44PM

Your only rebuttals so far have been:
    the article's writer opinion matters here
    my avatar means it should have been a TD. (Yeah ok there)
    and he's at the 2 yard line so it shouldn't count,even though the ball is clearly not in his hands and won't be in possession until after it hit the pylon.

We disagree on the call,lets just leave it at that. I don't need to rationalize anything here,my team won and that is all i care about.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 7:49PM

@erikthredd said:
    Your only rebuttals so far have been:
    the article's writer opinion matters here
    my avatar means it should have been a TD. (Yeah ok there)
    and he's at the 2 yard line so it shouldn't count,even though the ball is clearly not in his hands and won't be in possession until after it hit the pylon.

We disagree on the call,lets just leave it at that. I don't need to rationalize anything here,my team won and that is all i care about.

1) You posted the article, not me.
    2) Your avatar clearly illustrates that any opinion you have will be slanted in favor of your team, which is perfectly understandable.
    3) The call on the field should not have been overturned.

Yes, your team got the win, so you should be pleased regardless.

• Options

Its all good. 4-2 and back near the top of the AFC again.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

I think you are on top again. The defense is suspect, but Brady gets it done.

• Options

Their defense is their flaw but every team in the AFC has flaws at this point. The Pats defense has too many players back from multiple SB wins for them to keep playing like they did over the first four games. They've slowly been getting better and thats all that matters. And yes,thank god for Tom :)

• Options

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

I think they are in for more of a challenge this year. In addition to the constant defensive suckage the division games are not going to be walkovers .

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 8:21PM

@bronco2078 said:

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

I think they are in for more of a challenge this year. In addition to the constant defensive suckage the division games are not going to be walkovers .

division games were never walkovers to begin with. Half their losses every year are from within the AFCE. Their defense is a work in progress but they're only two losses were to KC & CAR who are a combined 9-3 right now. As for having more of a challenge this year,they only need to win each game by one point not twenty. That's all that matters really.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

hate the rule, don't hate the call.

• Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Bad call IMO.

Also the non TD call for Kelce in the end zone on the Chiefs game.
    He had possession and 2 feet in the end zone.
    All it takes is breaking the plane but not this week.
    But probably a level 5?

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 10:23PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@dallasactuary said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Being a Cardinal hater......I loved that call! ;) The Royals probably win the series anyway.

Sure. And the Pat's would have won as well today anyways with that bit of logic

I hated the Cards as well but I felt awful about that call and imagined if I could have handled it if it happened to my team. brutal

m

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you pour molasses on that play, it's lucid. 100% correct call. Once that ball comes loose, more has to happen than Seferian-Jenkins simply getting his mitts on the pigskin again. He has to complete the process of regaining possession, which includes what transpires when he hits the turf. Or as Tony Corrente put it, "he has to survive the ground." If the player has not done so before the pylon is touched -- which in this case he did not -- it's a touchback.

On the other hand, when you watch that play at full speed from behind, it's 100% gross. A guy is going in for a touch and not only does he not get it, but the ball goes to the opposition? That'll cause an implosion between the ears.

Barndog succinctly nailed it.

• Options

Tim you can disagree with me all you want, but thems the rules. And by the way, aren't you a Jets fan? lol

• Options

"And by the way, aren't you a Jets fan? lol"

lmao now all the shots at my avatar make more sense.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Tim you can disagree with me all you want, but thems the rules. And by the way, aren't you a Jets fan? lol

Still a bad reversal, Stephen. If I were a Pats fan, I'd feel the same way.

The rule is that for a call to be overturned there must be conclusive evidence on the field to overturn it, and that certainly was not the case.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    "And by the way, aren't you a Jets fan? lol"

lmao now all the shots at my avatar make more sense.

I'm a fan of whatever team has the most players on my fantasy football teams. I have Brady on one, so I was hoping he'd do a bit better yesterday.

OTOH, your avatar is pretty self-explanatory, LOL..

• Options
    edited October 16, 2017 7:58AM

I think the league office should have never brought the ball hitting the pylon into play. Just call it a Jenkins fumble that he recovered in the endzone for a TD and left it at that but it is what it is. Every game has terrible calls from the refs at some point.Just two weeks ago the Pats got a phantom PI call on Stephon Gilmore on Carolina's game ending drive that would have made the Panthers punt inside their own 20 after a Deitrich Wise 3rd down sack of Newton. Tickytack flag thrown then 4 plays later game winning FG to end it.

@grote15 Brady has a hard time in 9 out of every 10 games vs the Jets. I don't play FF but i know enough that that he wasn't gonna get great numbers on them. Every 3-4 years he might blow them out in a game but the rest are always dogfights.

• Options

I understand team loyalty, but the blind obsession exhibited by the Pat's fans is mind boggling. Call has no effect on my day either way as I am a fan of neither team > @Barndog said:

hate the rule, don't hate the call.

Alaska needs a team.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Similar thing happened to RG III running into the end zone several years ago in 2014 against the Giants.

Supposedly they saw an angle that showed Jenkins losing control of the ball as he was coming down in the end zone during the replay review. I would like to see that angle.

Robb

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    The TD that was taken away from the Jets......was the WORST call I have ever seen. As per called by Dan Fouts also.
    There are 6 levels of bad calls.....6 being the worst.
    1) Bad
    2) Very Bad
    3) Terrible
    4) Horrendous
    5) Assanine(sp)
    6) This call

And I'm not even a Jets fan. If I was the Jets coach......I would have been kicked out of the game!!! GAWD AWFUL!!!!!

Flashbacks from Dez?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would support a rule change to avoid this being the case, but the replay officials got the call 100% correct according to the current rulebook. Possession lost prior to crossing the plane, recovered after hitting the pylon out of bounds.

• Options

I can see someone trying to reason that it was a fumble if the ball, ya know, LEFT HIS POSSESSION and possibly hit the pylon, but neither of those things happened. This wasn't a catch where the ground assisted, or possession was never fully had. This was a play where the ball never left the player, and the team paid the price because of who their opposition was on this day.

Ya know, people hate the Yankees because they've won a ton of titles, and their team hasn't.

People hate Cowboys and Lakers because their fans make it so easy.

People hate Patriots' because the team cheats, the league cheats for them, and they always manage to get off scott free....

• Options

I personally think it's an asinine rule (amid many others), but you can't cast stones at the zebras on this one. They applied the letter of the law correctly. Once that ball left his hands, the standard of proof went completely off the charts. He was in essence forced to complete A-Z in a nanosecond in order to be rewarded 6 points. For those who think that is inherently f'd up, extend your hand so I can hop on the bandwagon. But for those who think the refs blew that call, I'm going to wave as you go by.