Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Storage Box for Rattler Holder

ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did PCGS manufacture a storage box for the rattler holder?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Comments

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering this myself.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but they are scarce and hard to find.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Yes, but they are scarce and hard to find.

Thanks,
    Wonder if anyone might have a picture?

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several on the bay now

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

@Sandman70gt said:

Several on the bay now

Very cool, thanks, unfortunately I don't do the 'Bay.
    Will have to find another source.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one from a member here on the BST a few months ago. Post a WTB ad. Maybe you’ll find one.

• Options
    edited October 14, 2017 7:21PM

@BryceM said:
    I got one from a member here on the BST a few months ago. Post a WTB ad. Maybe you’ll find one.

Thanks, Will do...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just stack them.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

are those cardboard with plastic side inserts?

• Options

@davewesen said:
    are those cardboard with plastic side inserts?

I do believe so, searched e-bay and that is what they look like to me.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold several of these to board members a couple of years ago.
    The boxes are constructed of heavy tagboard with heavy textured vinyl (?) on the outside. Track on the inside, likely polyethylene.

$50 a piece is a little steep, but they don't come to the market often. I think I sold mine for about $35 to $40 delivered.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@Cameonut said:

$50 a piece is a little steep, but they don't come to the market often. I think I sold mine for about $35 to $40 delivered.

Thanks, had no idea on approximate price to pay.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES , I sure like that Washy.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

$35-$40 is a bargain - I'll take them all if you have more. Do you have any double row boxes??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Shamika said:
    @ECHOES , I sure like that Washy.

Me too... :#

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2017 10:55PM

Received one in May from a dealer friend after I purchased about a half dozen rattlers. Gave it to me as a bonus. Probably had 3-4 more as a result of a big consignment. The rattlers were pristine, clearly an old collection that hadn't seen light of day in decades.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options

Man, I'd sure like one of these. But, $60.00 - $100.00 each is way too steep.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple labeled "Samples" from the rattler era - perfect storage for my sample collection!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

@Sandman70gt said:

Several on the bay now

Very cool, thanks, unfortunately I don't do the 'Bay.
    Will have to find another source.

You have to be kidding? Just go to eBay and buy it? That is your source! 65 bucks. I'll even give you the link!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-PCGS-Black-Rattler-Coin-Storage-Box-Excellent-Cond-Orig-PCGS-Stickers-/172901890281?hash=item2841c178e9:g:1SQAAOSwcB5ZM5D8

• Options

Well, I bit the bullet and joined yesterday, still want to pass along money to a forum member if one should have to sell...

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be possible (if enough of us want/need them) to bring one to a plastic injection molding company and have knock-offs made. I am not suggesting violating PCGS trademarks or whatever, but I cant find a thing to properly store my rattlers and have no plans on spending on genuine boxes.
    I imagine it would only cost a couple of hundred to have the injection mold dies made if we had a genuine to copy, and only a few cents per unit for production.
    I am going to look into it.

• Options

@KindaNewish said:

I imagine it would only** cost a couple of hundred to have the injection mold dies made** if we had a genuine to copy, and only a few cents per unit for production.

I worked for a company running a injecting mold machine, believe me it will be far more than a couple hundred.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

@KindaNewish said:

I imagine it would only** cost a couple of hundred to have the injection mold dies made** if we had a genuine to copy, and only a few cents per unit for production.

I worked for a company running a injecting mold machine, believe me it will be far more than a couple hundred.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am going to cold call molding and die companies tomorrow. What should I expect to spend?

• Options

I think the best bet would be to find someone with a 3-D printer and just print up a dozen or so. Wish I knew someone...

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 7:51PM

I think you guys are way over thinking this. Buy a cool vintage pcgs box for 30-50 bucks or...
    I just put mine in the protective plastic that slabbed coins I bought were shipped in,(card holders I think) and put them in the blue pcgs boxes. They fit just fine and the rattlers are protected too.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had 3 or four over the last decade. Tough to find in decent condition.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

@KindaNewish said:

$25K or more seems more realistic.

• Options

Found one, funny how a 30+ year old cardboard box can make me happy...

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2017 5:30PM
                        @ECHOES 

@ECHOES
    Great question, I just put the between 2 modern holders and hope that they do not rattle too much :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file