Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any numismatic book collectors here?

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 14, 2017 9:55AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Man, I love love LOVE books. Putting my enjoyment of collecting and my love of books together into a numismatic library is like having my cake and eating it too. And I'm not talking about buying a recent copy of the Redbook. More like finding a classic out-of-print edition or something I never knew existed such as the item below written in 1909 by the man who purchased and later demolished the first mint building in Philadelphia.

Anyone else like this?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

"Anyone else like this?"

By all means. I have that very same booklet, by Frank H. Stewart. It is part of a larger collection of items related to Stewart, the first U. S. Mint, and the first coins minted by the United States Mint. This is an obscure and often overlooked niche of numismatics that can provide no end of entertainment and education.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Do you have "The Secret History of the First U.S. Mint"
    by Joel J. Orosz & Leonard D. Augsburger ?
    Your book from 1909 is on page 219.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect the old Wayte Raymond "Standard Catalog" issues and anything else that piques my interest.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

@LoveMyLiberty said:
    Do you have "The Secret History of the First U.S. Mint"
    by Joel J. Orosz & Leonard D. Augsburger ?
    Your book from 1909 is on page 219.

Yes, I do. And yes, I saw it in Orosz and Augsburger's book. :)

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that is a very interesting item. I too love books....but unfortunately my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm so I have to pare down my collection once in a while.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collected a set of Red Books. Beyond that I have only bought books for the information that is in them. I have not bought a book as a book collector. Of course some of the books I have purchased have become collectors' items because of their age and the fact that they are out of print.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shamika , Great topic.

I've collected Numismatic Literature for over 30 years now. I have an extensive general Numismatic Library along with a specialized collection of books (and annotated books), catalogs, correspondence, old invoices, and photos pertaining to the United States Early Silver Dollars 1794 to 1805 [not a typo!]

Here is a photo of F.C.C. Boyd's special leather-bound copy of the 1945 sale of The Worlds Greatest Collection (WGC) of Silver coins. I also have the "bid book" for the sale of the Silver Dollars in this collection, with buyer's names. I've added a photo of the Gem 1794 Silver Dollar from Boyd's Collection! And, lastly, the 1805 Draped Bust Silver Dollar from the Ostheimer Collection (I have all of the Ostheimer correspondence, etc. which I purchased from Mrs. Ostheimer over a decade ago).

Photos courtesy of W. David Perkins.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have accumulated a very large numismatic library. I LOVE my books! They can be enjoyed anytime without a trip to the bank.

One of the literature sidelines I collect are books with embossed tinted plates. Most are European issues from the mid 1800’s. They used metallic paint so the plates tone much like the coins themselves.

Are you a member of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society? If not, I think you would really enjoy it. Their newsletter, The Asylum is wonderful. Additionally there is a weekly newsletter The E-Sylum that may very well be the best source of information in numismatics!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

@WDP said:
    @Shamika , Great topic.

I've collected Numismatic Literature for over 30 years now. I have an extensive general Numismatic Library along with a specialized collection of books (and annotated books), catalogs, correspondence, old invoices, and photos pertaining to the United States Early Silver Dollars 1794 to 1805 [not a typo!]

Here is a photo of F.C.C. Boyd's special leather-bound copy of the 1945 sale of The Worlds Greatest Collection (WGC) of Silver coins. I also have the "bid book" for the sale of the Silver Dollars in this collection, with buyer's names. I've added a photo of the Gem 1794 Silver Dollar from Boyd's Collection! And, lastly, the 1805 Draped Bust Silver Dollar from the Ostheimer Collection (I have all of the Ostheimer correspondence, etc. which I purchased from Mrs. Ostheimer over a decade ago).

Photos courtesy of W. David Perkins.

Come on Dave- everyone knows that is worthless without the other half of the set! How can you live with yourself with half a set of something?

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although not technically a Numismatic Book, one of my favorite "coin" books is _The Day They Shook the Plum Tree _by Arthur H. Lewis (Harcourt, Brace,& World, Inc., New York 1963). It is the story of Hetty Green, her fortune, and family including her son, Col. E.H.R. Green. I've read this book a few times over the years.

I got my copy of this book as a gift from the late Russell J. Logan. He knew of my interest in the Col. Green Collection, especially pertaining to the Early U.S. Silver Dollars 1794 to 1804.

When I see this book on my shelf I think of both Col. Green and Russ Logan.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

Ah, Russ memories.........

Amongst other things a deluxe hard bound limited edition copy of Stew Withams book on John Reich.

Gosh, I still really miss him.

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

"Amongst other things a deluxe hard bound limited edition copy of Stew Withams book on John Reich."

I, too, have that deluxe hardbound edition, #5 of 12, although I am not sure when and how I acquired it. I also have the softcover version. As BustDMs stated, there is a world of enjoyment to be found in books.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, literature is my main specialty.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

@BustDMs said:

Are you a member of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society?

Yes I am. :smile:

Here is another great book I have regarding the first U.S. Mint.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have that one as well. I have 11-12,000 books and periodicals. I had a major crisis this year, my office got physically downsized and I lost 80% of my shelf space...so much is in storage. Arrgghh!!!

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

@shorecoll said:
    I have 11-12,000 books and periodicals.

Wow! Sounds like the question isn't "What do you have?", but instead "What do you NOT have?". Thumbs up!

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes & if my family doesn't contact a dealer as instructed... When I die there will be a double row wall stretching the properly on recyclable trash day :(

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect anything that relates to the early commemorative series.

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a book collector, but have hundreds of numismatic and history books in my library/billiard room (ok, a basement with a pool table and seven book cases). I purchase books for their content and keep them for reference, including some rare illustrated American-published eighteenth century books, and some original early Mint reports.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have hundreds, of not thousands of books

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file