Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's With this PCGS coin# on EBAY

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017 3:16PM

Can you be more specific? Part of the "Liberty" is missing. It is nothing special, just a neat curiosity. Since the coin was not supposed to look this way, I guess "MINOR" refers to a minor mint error. Call PCGS and get the truth.

• newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

V7573

Cert is invalid too as well as other coins by seller

This one as well as other coins sold by this seller

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017 3:19PM

I don't even know how to look up a cert. The coin looks 100% genuine. Post a better image that does not get blurry when it is blown up.

Just never seen a coin # that starts with a letter

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017 3:40PM

V=Variety for partial liberty variety

Link to PCGS Cert Verification page

https://pcgs.com/cert/

Cert is valid,,,,, type cert number into the box in the link above, the coin number doesn't show up in population report because error's and variety's don't show up.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/21465178

GrandAm :)

Thanks, just never seen that letter before, as far as the certs they PCGS must have working on the site when i entered it which i did 3 times to make sure.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

What GRANDAM said and just to take it a little further, error coins are listed with the letter "E" for the first digit.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:
    What GRANDAM said and just to take it a little further, error coins are listed with the letter "E" for the first digit.

Has it always been that way with the letters being used in the beginning? I never paid attention to errors or varities.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how to answer this..................I will see what the experts here say..............and learn :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

edited October 13, 2017 4:58PM

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@morgandollar1878 said:

Has it always been that way with the letters being used in the beginning? I never paid attention to errors or varities.

It depends,,,,,,, on minor errors or varieties they use the letter E or V but on major ones they give it it’s own coin number and no letter,,,,, example would be 1972-P Ty1 - Ty2 & Ty3 Eisenhower Dollars, they all have unique coin numbers.

In the gold dollar above leave off the “V” and enter the 7573 in pop report and you will see the pop for the 1873 open 3 $1 Gold but you can’t for the minor variety.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless it has changed, the letter "E" or "V" has been used for a long time. I have a partial collar morgan that I have owned for around 10 years that has the letter "E" as a prefix to the coin number. It is not included in the pop report for the date and mintmark.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never new that........thanks and interesting.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is a variety they have in their sets it gets a regular number. All others get E or V.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not being a focus of mine, I did not know that.... always learning.... ;) Even at my advance age... :D That is what keeps me young and dynamic.....Cheers, RickO

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lost about half it's value at aution fron 2008 to 2016.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file