Home U.S. Coin Forum

Table of U.S. Coin Specifications - see later posts for a more comprehensive version from 1976.

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 13, 2017 2:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Members who wish to have a copy of a U.S. Treasury table of coin specifications, please send a PM including your email. The table dates from 1947 and includes 1943 cent changes.

Include a stamped, self-addressed electron with your request. :)

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent.... Thank you.. Cheers, RickO

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it the same as the 6-1-76 revision handed out in the ANA Seminars?

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM Sent, thanks :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Is it the same as the 6-1-76 revision handed out in the ANA Seminars?

Sorry, don't know what ANA passed out.

received, Thanks for the interesting info. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Image of sheet

No, it is not the same. :smile:

As 1630Boston pointed out, it is not the same. The one I have is not nearly as extensive - it covers only more modern issues (well, modern in 1947) and omits the extensive breakdown by type.

If someone will send me a good resolution version of the 1976 table, I might be able to convert it to something a little more readable and also expand the content....IF that will be helpful to collectors.

NOTE: Self-addressed stamped electrons are fine....no need to send bit-coins, bite-coins, or byte-coins. :)

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Image of sheet

For the record, that table had been prepared by Ed Fleischmann of Coin World's Collector's CLearinghouse, and had previously appeared in Clearinghouse. He was the Editor, and I was the Assistant Editor of the page in 1976.

He freshened it up for distribution at the 1976 Summer Seminar Counterfeit Detection Class, which he taught along with ANACS Authenticator John Hunter and ANA Governor Virgil Brand. I attended as a student. Later that year ANACS moved to Colorado Springs and Fleischmann joined the staff. I joined the staff in 1978.

Versions of this chart have appeared in the Coin World Almanac, and possibly elsewhere. If it is still under copyright, Coin World would presumably hold it.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited October 13, 2017 3:13PM

@CaptHenway said: "For the record, that table had been prepared by Ed Fleischmann of Coin World's Collector's CLearinghouse, and had previously appeared in Clearinghouse. He was the Editor, and I was the Assistant Editor of the page in 1976. He freshened it up for distribution at the 1976 Summer Seminar Counterfeit Detection Class, which he taught along with ANACS Authenticator John Hunter and ANA Governor Virgil Brand. I attended as a student. Later that year ANACS moved to Colorado Springs and Fleischmann joined the staff. I joined the staff in 1978."

Thanks for the info but something is not computing. This information was first given out in in an ANA Authentication Seminar in 1973. I'm looking for my original copy as it said U.S. Government on the bottom. I believe the class instructor Charles Hoskins obtained the sheet from authenticators at the US Mint Lab. It does not surprise me that when ANACS moved to CO, some of the teaching aids were taken along.

I can see where this information was reproduced on many occasions and in several different sources. As a matter of fact, an identical sheet was passed out in another authentication seminar I was in last year. The info is still good but it sure needs to be updated. In our lifetime, "modern" coins will be old enough to be considered along with the "vintage" coins on the sheet. :wink:

If something is used as the basis for a new version including different information or format, the proper thing to do is acknowledge to source and note updates.

Of course, all government documents are automatically public domain (even when Google tries to claim they are not).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file