Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bust half Lettered Edge and Reeded Edge

in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 238 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 30, 2017 11:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Has there been any lettered edge halves and at the same time also reeded? If yes, is it common?

Comments

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. 1836. Common? No, reeded edge halves are scarce. A little history...

With the introduction of steam presses and the reducing lathe the Mint was able to place all features on the working hubs (except the date) and ramp up production more quickly. Except for the date, all dies were identical. The era of quirky, hand-punched and engraved half dollar varieties had come to an end. Technology marched on.

Chief Engraver Christian Gobrecht reworked the design for improved metal flow and the new presses. Minting did not begin until very late in the year and a small run of perhaps 1200 coins were pressed from a single die pair. Their release into circulation was unexpected as the coin's revised design and size had not been approved by Congress. The 1836 reeded edge was considered a pattern by many. However, Congress enacted the new law in early 1837. And as these pieces met the requirements they were released into circulation.

Examples of reeded edge and lettered edge below.
    Lance.

• in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 238 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Lance! I've added some photos of why I was asking if it is common to have both in one coin.,,Lettered and Reeded edge.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017 4:54AM

Lance,
    That receded edge example is incredible. Your coins never cease to amaze me.> @lkeigwin said:

Sure. 1836. Common? No, reeded edge halves are scarce. A little history...

Examples of reeded edge and lettered edge below.
    Lance.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1831 only the lettered edge was produced. I don't believe a reeded edge was in existance at the mint until 1836. I have to believe the reeded edge was added by someone after it left the mint (for whatever reason).

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting... I have not seen reeded and lettered edge before....Cheers, RickO

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1830 - while keeping the lettered edge - the Mint started experimenting with reeds on some edge dies.

This is best described in Dr. Ivan Leaman and Don Gunnet's treatise called Edges and Die Sequences on Early Half Dollars published in 1986.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 238 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks OKbustchaser!! Does it make this coin rare?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file