Home U.S. Coin Forum

Numismatic Nostradamus - US Mint predicts the future

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2010 the US Mint released the Boy Scouts Commemorative dollar which featured a girl.

United States dollar 2010 Boy Scouts commemorative

In today's news, October 11, 2017:

The Boy Scouts of America announced Wednesday that girls will soon be admitted to the Cub Scouts, and later can join a new program for older girls, a major change for the organization founded more than 100 years ago, NBC News reported.

Girls can join Cub Scout units starting next year, and a program for older girls allowing them to attain the rank of Eagle Scout will be created by 2019, according to the BSA.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national-international/#450447223

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure the "girl" on the commemorative dollar is supposed to be a woman scout leader. Women are allowed to hold leadership positions within the BSA.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 11:24AM

@EXOJUNKIE said:
    I'm pretty sure the "girl" on the commemorative dollar is supposed to be a woman scout leader. Women are allowed to hold leadership positions within the BSA.

Nope. I was on CCAC and we objected to the girl on a Boy Scout commemorative. We were told that BSA wanted to promote its "Venturing" program that included teen girls. The sponsor got exactly the confused, trite product it demanded. [More like "ordered" that the girl would be there....]

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

@EXOJUNKIE said:

Nope. I was on CCAC and we objected to the girl on a Boy Scout commemorative. We were told that BSA wanted to promote its "Venturing" program that included teen girls. The sponsor got exactly the confused, trite product it demanded. {More like "ordered" that the girl would be there....]

Yes they did! :s Thanks for the clarification! :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information Roger.... I often wondered about that.... looks like the plan has been in process for a long time... Cheers, RickO

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017 8:29AM

Interesting! I wonder how long they have been thinking about allowing girls in.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next in the progressive plan is to drop "Boys" from the organization's name to reflect the way our "global neighbors" treat "scout-like" organizations. You'll see.

• EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017 9:26AM

FWIW, the Girl Scouts of America are quite upset about this announcement. As a Cub Scout leader, I am fine with it. My son and I had the opportunity to spend some time with some female Venturing scouts during a camping weekend a few weeks ago. They were knowledgeable, prepared, and intelligent young ladies. My son learned a lot from them and was very impressed by their positive attitude.

My daughter attends most of my son's activities and prefers them over her Girl Scout activities. I haven't discussed with her yet whether she wants to join or not.

@Eagleguy said: "FWIW, the Girl Scouts of America are quite upset about this announcement. As a Cub Scout leader, I am fine with it. My son and I had the opportunity to spend some time with some female Venturing scouts during a camping weekend a few weeks ago. They were knowledgeable, prepared, and intelligent young ladies. My son learned a lot from them and was very impressed by their positive attitude. My daughter attends most of my son's activities and prefers them over her Girl Scout activities. I haven't discussed with her yet whether she wants to join or not."

FWIW, I've heard a few things. The Girl Scouts are upset. The vast majority of Boy Scouts are delighted to have the girls around and look forward to campouts. And finally, one reason a merger was resisted for so long was that girls develop and mature faster than boys.

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017 9:50AM

Whole thing is Crazy! Boy scouts should be for boys period. I was in boy scouts from 1st grade until I was 18 years old. I made eagle scout and all sort of other boy scout awards. We had no woman in our troop until 2 years before I turned 18 and that's when it started going down hill. Every person I have talked to that is still a leader thinks it's rediculas. Having teenaged boys and girls together on a weekend where they can be alone at times is going to run into trouble. Our troop no longer did tent campouts because the girls weren't allowed to do them it was hot stuffy cabins all the time. Nothing can just stay the same. Everything has to be accommodated to make everyone feel happy and accepted.

So when are the girl scouts going to let boys in?

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

Boys will NEVER be let into the Girl Scouts except for a few "tokens" to avoid a lawsuit.

• Hi, new to the forum, third post, woot! Just my two cents as a female in Boy Scouts…I’m incredibly happy and excited the BSA made this announcement. As a girl, I was so jealous of my brothers in Cub Scouts because they actually got to do REAL things like camping (not in a backyard) and making fires. Closest we ever got in Brownies to doing anything like that was a hay-rack ride…..The Girl Scout program is not even close to being comparable. It’s boring, mundane, you don’t learn any real skills just useless fluff like making friendship bracelets. Not to mention the absurd focus on cookie sales which is all nationals cares about because cookie money goes to pay for their stupid pensions, plus selling off so many Girl Scout summer camps to fund their paychecks. So trust me…you ask when Girl Scouts are letting boys in but you DON’T want to be in Girl Scouts. No one wants to be in Girl Scouts. It stinks. Even their 100 year commemorative coin is worse than the Boy Scouts! At least I don’t care for it….

(cringes)

I joined the Venturing Program which is under the BSA and it was AWESOME! We had an even mix of boys and girls, some who were Eagles or still in scouts and some ex-Girl Scouts. For camping, you just had to split tents into Male-Youth, Male-Adult, Female-Youth, and Female-Adult only. You still have to follow the regular “Two Deep” youth protection rules (meaning there has to always be at least three people present, no one can be alone one-on-one). Our Crew never had any problems. It was sincerely one of the best experiences of my life. And I finally got to have that true experience that only the Boy Scout program can offer. Soon adventure-seeking little girls won’t have to wait till they’re 14 to have the same opportunities. I think it’s a very exciting time!

• Going back to the Boy Scout’s centennial coin (borrowing your picture @WillieBoyd2!)……I found it very thoughtful. You have a Cub Scout, A Boy Scout, and a Venture Scout. All three of the main BSA programs are represented. You can tell the woman is a Venture Scout because she is making the Venture salute (flat hand) while the little boy is making the Cub Scout salute (two fingers) and the older boy is making the Boy Scout salute (three fingers). It’s hard to see, but the woman’s belt has the Venturing logo on the buckle (square turned on its side, like a mountain and it’s reflection in the water).

So anyways……Numismatic Nostradamus indeed! I’m so happy to see that the BSA making preparations to allow female dens and soon patrols! I never thought I’d see a united Scouting program in my lifetime. I’m sorry that some people here don’t think it should be so…but unless you’ve been on the outside looking in, you can’t understand how sad it felt to miss out, to be excluded, just because “eww you’re a girl.” A Scout is Friendly, a Scout is Courteous, a Scout is Kind ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file