Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fairfax Coin Club – New Club in Virginia Met Oct. 10

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 11, 2017 7:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

In the present climate of coin collecting it is a distinct pleasure to see a new venue open for coin hobby residents of Northern Virginia. (Population of the N. Va. area is almost 3 million.)

The Fairfax Coin Club held its first meeting Tuesday evening at the Reston Community Center. Approximately 28 adults and YNs attended and all seemed to enjoy conversations and being part of the new group. Collectors expressed interest in a wide variety of US, foreign and ancient coins and medals. The founding officers seem to have done their homework with both club organization and meeting running smoothly.

The club’s web site presents full information for potential members and guests.
[ http://fairfaxcoinclub.com ]

Comments

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a former resident of Northern VA and the National Capital Region, it is good to see another coin club formed. I wish it every success!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the encouragement RogerB !

After our inaugural meeting we now have 27 members of the Fairfax Coin Club. This far exceeded our expectation, and we really appreciate those that came out to support the formation of a new coin club. We have a few venues to pursue in getting the word out to those local hobbyists who have not yet heard of the club, so we are upbeat that we can add to the member list.

RogerB was very kind to bring a contribution to the club in the form of copies of two of his books, "U.S. Patterns and Experimental Pieces of WWII" and "U.S. Proof Coins 1936 - 1942". Two YNs joined the club, and were very active in leading member participation in both the coin auction and a coin trivia contest. So a highlight of the night was them receiving as a gift the copies of RogerB's books, and they were rather excited to have RogerB autograph their new reading adventures in coins.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 4:36PM

Glad to be present and wish the new club success. Also nice that the kids present were excited to receive the books - maybe this will also help the parents connect, too.

[PS: I have passed on to the printer the several compliments about the print quality of U.S. Proof Coins 1936 - 1942.]

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great... Looks like a great launch for a new club. No clubs in my area.... I know there must be collectors, but they seem to be low profile. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to try and make it, it's about a 3 hour drive, but that darn work stuff keeps getting in the way.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file