NA

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2017 9:40PM

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    This was one of my first bust half buys. I bought it many years ago on ebay. I was enamored by its beautiful color, exquisite luster and pristine surfaces.

I asked PCGS to regrade it twice, thinking it was better than a 55, market graded. But they wouldn't budge. Truth is, it's just a really pretty 55 and I've come to accept that.
    Lance.

Sure looks like a 58 to me.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    This was one of my first bust half buys. I bought it many years ago on ebay. I was enamored by its beautiful color, exquisite luster and pristine surfaces.

I asked PCGS to regrade it twice, thinking it was better than a 55, market graded. But they wouldn't budge. Truth is, it's just a really pretty 55 and I've come to accept that.
    Lance.

Agreed, that is a 58

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful 1834, Lance...and yes, I agree too, looks 58 to me!

Here are some of my favorite busties....

Dave

• Options

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a recent upgrade;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lance, I would definitely have called that a 58....Very nice coin... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

This thread did not go the way I had hoped.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

The following Heritage Auction archived photos do a good job of depicting the hammered strike and other surface preservation details of the coin, although they do not show the attractive Semi-Prooflike Field luster that spoke to me during the pre-auction viewing, and encouraged me to make the purchase.

1826 Capped Bust Half Dollar (O-105) NGC MS-61 - Semi Prooflike

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 239 ✭✭✭✭

Some serious Busties on this thread...WOW!!!!

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

@drddm said:
    Beautiful 1834, Lance...and yes, I agree too, looks 58 to me!

Here are some of my favorite busties....

Dave

Dave, this beautiful small piece of your collection is priceless in my eyes! Looking at this reminds me why I started collecting Bust Halves. Congratulations on your hard work to find these gals! Bob

• Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Gorgeous, Lance. I have to pick my jaw off the floor after seeing specimens like these.
    Bob

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin
    That is one of the most beautiful Bust coins I have ever seen.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemDude, Love that color on your beautiful 1827 Capped Bust Half Dollar!

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread needs some gold...

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some very nice coins posted so far!
    Mine can't really compete, but here's my one and only. Bought it a week ago at a local shop for my type set. I've tried to figure out the Overton number. My thought was 103 but I have been told it may be 101?

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FranklinHalfAddict said:
    Mine can't really compete, but here's my one and only. Bought it a week ago at a local shop for my type set. I've tried to figure out the Overton number. My thought was 103 but I have been told it may be 101?

O.101 is correct. Look at the start of the scroll, relative to the E in the motto. And the 5 in 50 C relative to the talons, along with the olive stem over the C.
    Lance.

• Options

A couple more, for luster lovers.
    Lance.

• Options

Two nice CBHs!!!

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins in this thread. Love it.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

1830 O-114, R5 PCGS-30 CAC

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

O.101 is correct. Look at the start of the scroll, relative to the E in the motto. And the 5 in 50 C relative to the talons, along with the olive stem over the C.
    Lance.

Thanks for the reply, Lance.
    What's throwing me off here is the cross bar in the second A of AMERICA. It looks nothing like o101 and more like 103.

• Options

Woops - how'd this Capped Bust Half Dollar get struck multiple times and then escape the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia in 1814???

1814 O-103 CBH Struck 5% off-center. I'll have this coin at the November Whitman Baltimore Show at my Table 818 if you'd like to see or study it.
    Photo courtesy of W. David Perkins Numismatics.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

What's throwing me off here is the cross bar in the second A of AMERICA. It looks nothing like o101 and more like 103.

Try not to allow yourself to get thrown off by the shape of letters. There can be differences from coin to coin due to things like strike, metal flow and die wear.

Instead focus on the relationship of design elements. The motto, scroll letters, numerals and denticles are unique to each reverse die. Which means they line up differently to one another and to the central devices that were hubbed.

Lots of collectors have their favorite methods for attributing. Below highlights many of the areas I look at first. (The reverse is from an 1834 O.101 like yours.)
    Lance.

• Options

Thanks @lkeigwin !

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017 4:03PM

These ladies are all looking left. How about a couple looking to the right?

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

Try not to allow yourself to get thrown off by the shape of letters. There can be differences from coin to coin due to things like strike, metal flow and die wear.

Instead focus on the relationship of design elements. The motto, scroll letters, numerals and denticles are unique to each reverse die. Which means they line up differently to one another and to the central devices that were hubbed.

Lots of collectors have their favorite methods for attributing. Below highlights many of the areas I look at first. (The reverse is from an 1834 O.101 like yours.)
    Lance.

Great post!

I'm a novice myself, but found that in many cases, for many dates, just the relationship of the ends of the scroll to the letters above them can narrow things down considerably! The variability that exists on coins that look nearly identical at first blush is pretty amazing....

(And I've found little use for Overton's little notes about stars/letters/etc. being separated by 1.5mm.....) ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

My icon, one more time...

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure are some really pretty coins here!

Don't see an 1831 yet.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a tiny one:

• Options

Ho boy, Dave, those are some beauties! Fabulous toning.

Here's an 1827 O.104 in 63+.
    Lance.

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017 7:54PM

Thanks, Lance. Love the toning and the crazy luster on that 1827...just stunning!

I think it's about time I send in my bust halves for some LanceViews (has a great sound to it, huh ;))

• Options

@TommyType said:

I'm a novice myself, but found that in many cases, for many dates, just the relationship of the ends of the scroll to the letters above them can narrow things down considerably! The variability that exists on coins that look nearly identical at first blush is pretty amazing....

(And I've found little use for Overton's little notes about stars/letters/etc. being separated by 1.5mm.....) ;)

I agree. Who pulls out calipers and measures? Silly. Go for the big stuff. It doesn't take a lot.

Wait'll Tompkins Vol 2 comes out. If it's anything like his draped bust half book it will blow away other references. I can't wait.
    Lance.

• Options
    SteveBellSteveBell Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

My grandmother gave me this piece last month.1822 Contemporary counterfeit double profile.Im not even sure it's worth much

• Options

Here is a baby Dime I like.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2017 1:07PM

Very Nice Posts, Love the way they TONE!
    I think this is the only one I have of the half.

• Options

• Options

It is in an old Anacs white holder, EF 45, maybe could hit a 53?
    As I said in other posts over the years, I love the way these have a consistent way of toning.
    Anyone care to hazard an guess as to why?
    Thank You!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file