Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seller offered, I accepted, he paid and he want a cancel.....

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

He made an offer that I accepted on ebay. He paid very quickly and then ten minutes later he requested a refund.
What should I look out for? I responded that I would refund but he needs to go through ebay and request a refund/cancel. I told him I could not refund on his word once it's paid for and told him he HAD to go through ebay. I printed a label and told him that I will ship tomorrow if he does not follow through via ebay's procedure.
What else should I do or look out for? I will ship with signature required.
Auction was BIN for $699 and he offered $349 and I accepted....Most recent sale of same coin was $500 on a best offer as well.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good idea to have him go through eBay.
    I think you did everything right so far, although I would hesitate to ship it just yet.
    I might wait a little bit longer to see what shakes out.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

The buyer concluded this must be a scam.
    Why would anyone accept an offer that is 50% of the BIN?

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@au58 said:
    I would never ship based on this set of facts.
    There is no upside but plenty of downside.

Agreed, Just cancel the transaction and request the refund for the shipping. You can make someone take what they don't want

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hold onto the coin and refund his payment.

You may have to call Ebay for a fvf refund. No biggie.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a similar transaction, the other day. I just cancelled it as per his request. I guessed his wife found out and got upset, but maybe it was his mom. Or maybe it was PayPal, but he was putting the blame everywhere except on his own actions. Who knows ? At any rate; no harm, no foul

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

You sell on eBay and can't figure this out on your own. You have a $699 coin that you accept a 50% of BIN offer. Hmm...

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

"Why would anyone accept an offer that is 50% of the BIN?"

This was my thought as well. I have had excellent results making "Best Offers" over the years, with virtually all of them being accepted. But my offers are consistently 80% - 90% of the BIN, or just 10% - 20% off. Is it possible that the prospective buyer was just testing the waters?

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of very good comments here. Buyer's remorse or spousal disapproval seem most likely. Buyer probably deserves to be blocked in the future.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Had a similar transaction, the other day. I just cancelled it as per his request. I guessed his wife found out and got upset, but maybe it was his mom. Or maybe it was PayPal, but he was putting the blame everywhere except on his own actions. Who knows ? At any rate; no harm, no foul

or no foul, no harm B)

• Options

will cancel and be done with him.

thanks for all the responses,

bob :)

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

What coin was it Bob?? Lets us have a shot !!

• Options
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2017 7:22PM
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2017 10:03PM

@PQueue said:
    You sell on eBay and can't figure this out on your own. You have a $699 coin that you accept a 50% of BIN offer. Hmm...

His wife might have been a numismatist........and did not have rightful respect for moderns.

OINK

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    You do not have to have him start the process... you can just cancel the sell and refund. Same thing.

This is definitely the way to go if you want to be an eBay 'top rated seller'........To be TRS, you MUST ship within 24 hours of payment or risk losing TRS. The only way to avoid this is to cancel the sale yourself or take a strike.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

@MrHalfDime said:
    "Why would anyone accept an offer that is 50% of the BIN?"

This was my thought as well. I have had excellent results making "Best Offers" over the years, with virtually all of them being accepted. But my offers are consistently 80% - 90% of the BIN, or just 10% - 20% off. Is it possible that the prospective buyer was just testing the waters?

Yes, or at least expecting a counter offer.
    When his ridiculous offer was accepted, he assumed something must be awry.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if they did not like the felt pen on the reverse?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The never ending ebay stories.... seems every day there is one or two tales of woe from an ebay listing.. either seller issues or buyer problems.... for the most part, in my case now... ebay=stay away.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay has active forums under their community section. Just beware all the snarling unhappy people there.

I had a guy from GA buy something the other day; it was on another person's account, two different sets of names and addresses. Both ebay and paypal said it looked OK to them. The ebay forum advice I got was uniformly against shipping it.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

if it is an " error" why does the coin not state it on the slab. Perhaps that was his question as well. If your research the coin on the NGC site it states it to be a regular coin.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    if it is an " error" why does the coin not state it on the slab. Perhaps that was his question as well. If your research the coin on the NGC site it states it to be a regular coin.

Can't answer this. I don't know what NGC did or what was paid for by the submitter. There are others, although scarce, out there and none have a "rotated die" noted. Perhaps it is within tolerance and thus does not qualify for that notation.

bob

Yes, or at least expecting a counter offer.

When his ridiculous offer was accepted, he assumed something must be awry.

Ebay and Paypal always have your back he shouldn't worry about it. Ridiculous? If you don't offer 50% of asking price you will NEVER score...ebay allows three offers why not start way low? You never know what is going on with the seller at that moment as we are all not dealers.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Roataton...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

You have to pay extra for errors/varieties when submitting. The original submitter may not have noticed to request it, or have chosen not to pay for it. Or, NGC may have decided not to note it for whatever reason.

I sent them a 185 degree rotated coin (non-US, so perhaps it was confusing to them) which, despite my request, was NOT noted on the slab.

Who knows what was going on in the buyer's head...as the seller the most expedient thing I suspect would be to cancel the sale and file for fees back as noted above.

• Options

This is a prime example of problems with listed prices, as I would never have backed out of a sale like this guy, this list price on the coin is stated at 165 that is probable what may have lead to the cancel. In either case, Bob is better off not dealing with someone so quick to react. If I commit I stick to my obligation.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    Good idea to have him go through eBay.
    I think you did everything right so far, although I would hesitate to ship it just yet.
    I might wait a little bit longer to see what shakes out.

As a Buyer of eBay items, your final sentence bears problems for the Seller, I've never sold anything on eBay but I think once the Buyer pays for the item, the Seller, not 100% on this, has 48 hours to Ship.

Abandon All Hope-Ye Who Enters Here...Dante Alighieri

• Options

@AUandAG well Bob I just had and Ebayer buy 1K worth of gold jewelry for her husband B-day, then after spending 72.00 shipping and telling the other buyers it was sold she had "fight with husband and said need to send back" he was mad about the money she spent on him. Ebay policy is no return, well what do you know, now claiming "not as described". URR People can really suck. She will go on my block and once goods are back safe, I will add to the Ebay community. palang7655

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Yup, understand completely how you feel. Sucks big time, some people just rub me wrong.

bob :(

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, let me get this straight. You list a coin for $699 and then take an offer for half? And now you want to make the seller him jump through hoops to return it. You can very well just cancel the sale. No muss, no fuss. But you do not want to? I have to ask why?

And, by the way, you are not helping eBay, or the rest of us by listing coins that you will entertain 50% discounted offers. First off, it is deceptive, and secondly, you turn off coin collectors that we all badly need.

I do not think we have a problem buyer here. Sorry.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

You can't force him to buy it. If you ship it to him, most likely you'll just end up eating the shipping cost as well as the return shipping cost. Maybe even a neutral/neg feedback of "seller shipped even though I wanted to cancel my order".

Just cancel the sale (reason: "buyer changed his/her mind") and relist.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The never ending ebay stories.... seems every day there is one or two tales of woe from an ebay listing.. either seller issues or buyer problems.... for the most part, in my case now... ebay=stay away.... ;) Cheers, RickO

I've done 55,000+ eBay transactions with less than 20 problems. And most of those were back when checks were circulating instead of PayPal.

You have to filter the complaints. Someone has 1000 good experiences but then they just can't stop whining about the one bad one.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf.... You are correct.... it always happens like that... even the news media ....'If it bleeds, it leads.'..... The frequency of bad news here, puts the entire operation in a bad light.... but likely it is the minority of deals. I will step back and take a deep breath.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought from Bob. He gave me a very good price and he also later remembered that I am interested in early 50's proof sets and gave me a chance to make an offer on a nice '51 set.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just made an offer on uncommon coin on eBay for about 30% of the seller's BIN. My offer is about 80-85% of retail (and I am very familiar with the market for this item). The seller is asking far too high and the item has been listed for many weeks. If the seller accepts my 30% offer ... I will NOT think anything is fishy nor will I cancel. However ... I think there is a very low chance my offer will be accepted. ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@astrorat said:
    I just made an offer on uncommon coin on eBay for about 30% of the seller's BIN. My offer is about 80-85% of retail (and I am very familiar with the market for this item). The seller is asking far too high and the item has been listed for many weeks. If the seller accepts my 30% offer ... I will NOT think anything is fishy nor will I cancel. However ... I think there is a very low chance my offer will be accepted. ;)

Well ... my offer was accepted. :D

Woo hoo! Not a rip, but a good value, IMO.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

See, it does happen and some sellers are just happy to accept the offer.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to get past a bad deal as fast as possible. End it fast and not worry.

Larry

• Options

@afford said:

@AMRC said:
    Ok, let me get this straight. You list a coin for $699 and then take an offer for half? And now you want to make the seller him jump through hoops to return it. You can very well just cancel the sale. No muss, no fuss. But you do not want to? I have to ask why?

And, by the way, you are not helping eBay, or the rest of us by listing coins that you will entertain 50% discounted offers. First off, it is deceptive, and secondly, you turn off coin collectors that we all badly need.

I do not think we have a problem buyer here. Sorry.

Give me a break. I guess this place should be renamed to Dealers Universe!

Hmmm, if he'd had offered me 1/2 off on that coin I would have accepted his offer too! I won't block him.

bob ;)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin is uncommonly traded and/or has thin demand, I see nothing wrong with a high BIN and then offering some wiggle room.
    It doesn't mean the seller is trying to pull a fast one if he takes 50% of a BIN price.
    It just means he wants to move the item.....recycle his funds.
    As others have said, as a buyer, make an offer starting low, and then it either gets auto-rejected or you can start negotiations from that point.

• Options

pricing is always negotiable and at times folks cant list light due to obligations, always ask especially if you know it is from a good source.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited October 16, 2017 9:08PM

@astrorat said:

@astrorat said:

Well ... my offer was accepted. :D

Woo hoo! Not a rip, but a good value, IMO.

Coin arrived today. Packed well with a nice note. I am happy to add the engraved twenty-cent piece (love token) to my collection ... even though I have WAY too many! ;)

Edited to add seller's images ...

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

cc? Cool 20center!

bob:)

• Options
    edited October 16, 2017 9:26PM

@AUandAG said:
    cc? Cool 20center!

bob:)

Ha! I wish it were an 1875-CC! I have only come across 2 examples of twenty-cent love tokens that I can positively attribute as 'CC' coins.

It's an 1875-S (BF-15 or BF-16 die marriage). This obverse die (misplaced 5 in the denticles below the 7) struck two different die marriages. One has a minor S/S reverse (BF-15) and the other (BF-16) is the so-called "$" reverse (bold S/S).

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

oh well, still a nice piece!

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they want to cancel then just give them a refund, or if they want to cancel before they paid just do it.
    the buyer is always right

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file