Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2011 Lincoln penny, hidden #

Hi guys, got a 2011 Lincoln penny that has a mystery number on top of 11 on the date, curious about this one.
Thanks again for all feedbacks.
Vin

Comments

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything. Better pics?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are going to need to post a sharper image. Nevertheless, if you look at enough coins with enough magnification, eventually you will see every letter of the alphabet and every numeral. Get what I'm saying? Let's hope you actually have something! :smiley:

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Additional pics are not necessary. This is not an error. I’m sure there is a good reference available that will detail the different kinds of errors which can occur. Honestly, you are wasting your time looking so hard for these and taking pictures/uploading them. What are your collecting goals?

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO looks like a scratch or where something hit the coin

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options

@david3142 said: "Additional pics are not necessary. This is not an error. I’m sure there is a good reference available that will detail the different kinds of errors which can occur. Honestly, you are wasting your time looking so hard for these and taking pictures/uploading them."

I sure wish I knew as much as you! Perhaps you can suggest a guide for the OP dealing with 2011-D cents. Only thing I can think of is Wiles, Wexler, or one of the Lincoln sites. Unfortunately, new "micro" oddities that are not very valuable are being discovered all the time. Even with a fuzzy image there appears to be a raised mark next to the PMD. Perhaps just some pushed up metal due to damage. It may even be part of a minor clash. In any case, at least one member here (me) is curious enough to see a sharp image so I can actually make an informed comment. :blush:

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was curious about the "kite tail" in the upper left corner on the "D" mintmark.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There 'appears' to be a '5' image above the date..... I cannot be sure if it is just PMD or something else... a really clear picture would help. It could be just a compression contact with another coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's Numismatic Pareidolia

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Yeah, the "donkey tail D" variety!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file