Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1856 Flying Eagle S-4 - In three different metals

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it can be difficult to determine metal composition unless you have examples side by side, or you are familiar enough with reference coins. Below, you have:

J180 - Snow 4(a) in Copper Nickel
J182 - Snow 4(c) in Bronze
J183 - Snow 4(d) in 75% Copper / 25% Nickel

These are the only three confirmed metals used, other than a couple of uniface die trials

Doug

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice cents... and great visual on the different alloys... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a set! They yours ??

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the first the regular 88% copper, 12% nickel ?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the difference between J180 - Snow 4(a) in Copper Nickel and J183 - Snow 4(d) in 75% Copper / 25% Nickel?

• Options
    edited October 9, 2017 10:58AM

Yes, it should be 88/12 on the first one. The first and third haven't been tested. Yes these are mine. It is an important variety since it is the low leaves reverse variety, which was only first used in 1858. Rick has an excellent write up in his book.

I should take better photos for this, but I was trying to demonstrate the difference in appearance in hand when you put them together. It is very apparent they are different alloys.

I don't know if a true copper 181 has ever been found, or one in white metal. There are to unique uniface die trials of the reverse though, one with "one cent" and one without.

Doug
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017 1:11PM

In my book for J-182, the bronze issue (Snow-4c), I say no examples have been found. I handled your coin in 2015, so it didn't make it into the book in time. It been in there since.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

Thanks Rick. I was making the assumption that you would call that composition bronze.

1858 was a busy year at the mint, lol. I find it interesting that this variety was struck in several different compositions using a date from two years before. I can see the midnight minters making more 1856's to satisfy client demands, but in three metals?

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file