Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A new buffalo nickel for my colorful herd if ya wanna see

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was lucky enough to locate this 28-D pinwheel buffalo nickel for my colorful collection. Not graded yet, just got it.
Thanks for looking and comments are welcome as usual, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one Joe, great photographs as usual! This one tempted me as well.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, very nice indeed.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow!! what a nice buff!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dog,,,,

You sure are good at locating some very nice Buffalo's

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin.

Larry

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always great to see a new Buffalo enter your herd Joe! Beautiful coin as usual. :)

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it, per usual, Joe. So, so many hooves in your herd. Not fair. lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin has real style!!!!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous!!

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Wow coin.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am continuously amazed at the colorful tarnish you find on Buffalo's.... I have a coin cabinet, felt lined drawers, and have, perhaps, as many as forty, could be fifty, Buffs in one drawer - not slabbed, but in 2x2's... and some loose. Not one has any indication of tarnish, let alone the one's you show. Not that I am seeking such coins.... I just wonder how they have been stored to acquire that type of color. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I am continuously amazed at the colorful tarnish you find on Buffalo's.... I have a coin cabinet, felt lined drawers, and have, perhaps, as many as forty, could be fifty, Buffs in one drawer - not slabbed, but in 2x2's... and some loose. Not one has any indication of tarnish, let alone the one's you show. Not that I am seeking such coins.... I just wonder how they have been stored to acquire that type of color. Cheers, RickO

All of my toned Buffs were toned by pretty hippy girls that wore patchouly oil dancing in the moonlite back in the 60's. :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Dayum.... Now THAT is a collection I would like :D .... I remember those hippy girls.... Oh yeah... fondly.. ;) I even remember names.... <3>:) I could fondle those coins whenever reminiscing about Woodstock and California....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Dayum.... Now THAT is a collection I would like :D .... I remember those hippy girls.... Oh yeah... fondly.. ;) I even remember names.... <3>:) I could fondle those coins whenever reminiscing about Woodstock and California....Cheers, RickO

Now you know the story on how, Joe's, buffalo nickels toned. They smell good too :)

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never thought this thread would move to ricko fondling something.
    In only a few posts too!

Nice coin Joe.

• Options

There are certain things that must be fondled and sniffed.... such as tarnished Buffs.... ;) ... Heck, even PCGS has a sniffer and three fondlers...... :D:D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    There are certain things that must be fondled and sniffed.... such as tarnished Buffs.... ;) ... Heck, even PCGS has a sniffer and three fondlers...... :D:D:D Cheers, RickO

Just look at what it morphed into :D

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Tarnish"....................classic ricko.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Luster and color. Wow.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

I just find it difficult to get interested in coins that appear to have “terminal” toning! I just envision the toning overtaking the coin and resulting in a completely dark coin....

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options

@Bankerbob56 said:
    I just find it difficult to get interested in coins that appear to have “terminal” toning! I just envision the toning overtaking the coin and resulting in a completely dark coin....

If you don't like this one then your definitely not gonna like the rest of my toned buffalo nickel collection.

• Options
    knightemknightem Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

OMG. So beautiful. You lucky DOG... LOL

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

@Bankerbob56 said:

I have a 1926-P Buffalo nickel with similar toning that I purchased from Heritage in May 2002. After 15+ years it hasn't changed a bit. So I wouldn't worry about crazyhounddog's coin going completely dark anytime soon.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

@Bankerbob56 said:

I have MANY toned coins that I've own for over 40 years. None have changed a bit, not even a little bit. But! If you were to put that same coin into a paper envelope or a coin album all bets are off. I always hit mine with acetone and then they get graded or I put them into a Polythyline Terephalte flip. I NEVER have had them change to a dark or blacked out coin, in fact, no change what so ever in color. That's just way out there my coin brother.
    Carry on :)

• Options

I believe that the toning on the OP coin is called "target" toning.

Pete

• Options
    edited October 13, 2017 11:11AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    I believe that the toning on the OP coin is called "target" toning.

Pete

Hey there Pete. Yes I know they call it target toning but I thought I'd change it to pinwheel. Just a little variety :)

• Options

"Pinwheel" reminds me of the Geico pig in the car going WEE WEE, WEE WEEEEE with a pinwheel.

It's all good................................

Pete

• Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    "Pinwheel" reminds me of the Geico pig in the car going WEE WEE, WEE WEEEEE with a pinwheel.

It's all good................................

Pete

They went from a pig, which was appropriate, to a lizard thing.
    I don't like pinwheel anymore now that Geico got thrown in on the deal. Back to target toning :)

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why I would prefer my coins displayed in a coin album....you can call me old school if you want.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe, I think that you do not find all of these great Buffs, I think that they find you. But all of them that find you have horns........ you are soooo lucky.

OINK

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! Let us know when it grades!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful buff!! Just love those toners.
    congrats!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

Thank you to all for the interest and nice comments, much appreciated.
    Happy hunting, Joe

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen a Buffalo posted by Joe that I didn't like. Beautiful coin Joe!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file