Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should the US Mint produce a "Condolences" set to pair with "Congratulations" ?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of coins would a "condolences" set contain? Or--- would it include only one, supremely ugly design struck in moldy-green zinc?

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 3:22PM

LOL, I think the mint will steal this idea if they get wind of it. Then the Wedding Set, the Graduation Set, the Divorce Set...

I'll need to think about the coins. How about the 1995 Civil War dollar with the wounded soldier?

Or an empty capsule..."Our condolences, sorry you missed our latest Limited Release.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a waffled coin. A waffle golden dollar.

" Sorry, this is the only way we can get rid of these things"

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dedicated to coin collectors. It should contain the most beat up defective Silver Eagle they can produce.

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I've already bought a bunch of them

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Then the Wedding Set, the Graduation Set, the Divorce Set..." The Pre-Nuptual Set, Spoiled Brat Kid Set, or maybe the elegant "Grim Reaper" commemorative.....
    Just trying to think ahead on this

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 5:04PM

Special Condolences Sets? - The U.S. Mint should "double date" the clad Proof Sets starting in 2018 and until 2028 to commemorate the millions and millions of collector dollars that were lost buying the (mostly) clad Proof Sets between 1968 and 1978.

@Kccoin said:
    Maybe a waffled coin. A waffle golden dollar.

" Sorry, this is the only way we can get rid of these things"

Perhaps they should lightly "waffle" the remaining stocks of Presidential dollars struck after Garfield, and offer those to collectors at a moderate premium - this would "keep the faith" with the people who paid premiums to obtain the latter coins and who would be burned if the newer Prezzie coins are ever released for use.

"Branded" "presidents" ?

edited October 6, 2017 5:30PM

There are a whole bunch of never released Prezzie coins after Garfield - people paid a Premium to obtain similar coins for their collector sets - and the unreleased coins must be in some expensive storage somewhere.

Hobbyists need to pin down what is going to happen to these unreleased coins after the end of this year when the last of them go off sale. Otherwise we will wake up someday after the Mint/ Treasury has already released them to circulation without consulting us or thinking about our "investments".

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they did, it should only be gold and of a size that will pay for a funeral. Otherwise, no.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL - I wouldn't buy that either.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insider2, if it was possible, I'd give your post a double, triple,......infinity...LOL!!!! Divorce Set. Oh GAWD that's good!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah... Divorce set... an ASE with a major die break.... :D Cheers, RickO

...uniface, maybe?

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since they are trying to do anything for money, maybe they will follow some of Danbury mint's sales tactics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file