Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buffalo Nickel Carbon spots?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any cure for carbon spots on a buffalo nickel like the one below? Are these carbon spots for sure. I see them a lot on coins I would consider if not for the spots. I know NGC has a restoration program, but don't know if this is removeable. I know this coin is worthless, which is not mine, but is only an example of the type spots I was asking about. Thanks in advance.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 9:13AM

NO, it is corrosion. It can be removed chemically but that leaves gray spots because the metal is etched.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    NO, it is corrosion. It can be removed chemically but that leaves gray spots because the metal is etched.

Isn't "carbon spotting" another name for corrosion?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is NOT worthless. That's about as good of a strike as you'll get from an 18-P. Most of them are weakly struck on the center obverse, leaving real bad detail on the braid and knot.

Too bad about the rim ding on the reverse at about 2:00.

I don't know much to add about the spotting.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 10:04AM

@coinhack said:

@Insider2 said:

Isn't "carbon spotting" another name for corrosion?

Yeah, collectors (including me and just about everyone I know - including seminar instructors) toss words around all the time. However, those guys can also get very anal when trying to get all the students in a class "on the same track" to avoid confusion. Since carbon is black, I suppose you'll get no argument from most collectors if you call black spots on any coin "carbon spots."

In the classes I've attended, spots and stains on nickels have different names, Tiny black specks of environmental damage (corrosion) are called "flyspecks." Large spots as on the OP's coin are ED or corrosion spots. When the spots are pink...improper alloy mix. In a class setting, "carbon spots" are reserved for black spots on copper coins.

Nothing is etched in stone, so I apologize for adding some confusion to the discussion. The important thing is all spots are bad. If caught in time, some can be removed w/o leaving a trace. Others can be removed but you'll know they were there. Others cannot be removed without damaging the coin.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 10:21AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    That coin is NOT worthless. That's about as good of a strike as you'll get from an 18-P. Most of them are weakly struck on the center obverse, leaving real bad detail on the braid and knot.

Too bad about the rim ding on the reverse at about 2:00.

I don't know much to add about the spotting.

Pete

My friend, Pete is right. It's NOT worthless and the strike on the 18 is above average for the date. As far as the spots go I can't help ya. But, I think Insider2 might be some help.
    Nice Buff my man.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can try a restoration service, however, I do believe the spots will leave evidence of their presence. Still a very nicely struck Buff... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I don't mind a few fly specs, but large spots like those are a turnoff. Sorry.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I stated in the op, the coin is not mine. After everyone telling me how well struck it is, I may go buy it. lol
    I just wonder if the small black pen point spots you see on some buffs, will grow into this. I see many pcgs/ngc slabbed
    buffs with these small fly specks. Just curious.
    jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the fact that it may leave a spot.
    However better a small somewhat gray than an big ugly black spot.
    If you can find carbontectrycloride. ( not spelled correct) It was taken off the market years ago!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file