Home U.S. Coin Forum

Entertaining evening last night

My kids have been bugging me to get out their piggy banks for the past week and we just have not had time to do so.
So last time I got them their piggy banks and I did not realize how many pennies there were.
It was very humorous to see the amount.
They spent most of their time looking for Shield Pennies and the Lincoln Bicentennial Pennies.
They would also see dates and other things that would catch their eye and their response was always, "Hey look what I found! Whether it was to me or their siblings.
It was a great time and I think we spent a little over an hour around the dinner table searching for coins.

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not go to a coin shop and get some cents dated in the 1940's and when they are not around, put ONLY two into the bank for next time. Don't over do it.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great way to spend time together with the family, absolutely priceless!

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a customer who buys semi-key dates with problems from me to seed into rolls for The Search.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to hear stories like this. Reminds me about when I was letting my grand daughter use my stapler and staple common Cents into holders............only after identifying them by date and mint.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a great time.
    I was lucky. When my son was young, he liked to sort things.
    I would give him a bag of wheat cents and some Solo cups and turn him loose.

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, get a few steel war cents, turn it into a history lesson.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:
    Thanks for sharing !!! :)

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story.... and what family fun that is ... I agree with the occasional 'seeding'....create some extra excitement...Cheers, RickO

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you could generate some interest in the error coin area with them by dropping in a blank or an off-center cent. Then watch their expression on that discovery.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to hear the kids enjoying their coins!

Also reminds me of a joke: A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was, a nurse said, 'No change yet.'

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great fun and I've got 1,000+ pennies put away for that rainy day with the grand kids.....in a few years as they are still a bit too young. Can't wait to do it though!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file