Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CCAC's San Antonio's ATB quarter design recommendation

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll post without a comment-- in curious how others feel about it!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's appropriate, has a historical feel, and is cool.

This means it will never make it to final mass production.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the design on an old Spanish coin. I like it.

Political correctness will kill it, unfortunately, because the cross is not inclusive of other religions.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice design... will never make it to production..... Design by committee always results in mediocre, politically correct, weak presentations. Too bad... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

This was designed by an artist, not by a committee.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I think it looks rather cool and unique.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very appropriate for the city and creative, methinks. I like it a lot.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

I like it. The Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee did recommend this design. You can see the other proposed designs here: mintnewsblog.com/the-ccac-advises-the-treasury-on-historic-new-coins-part-4-san-antonio-missions-national-historical-park-quarter/

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nice to see a photo of Robert Hoge in that article, great person, eminent numismatist.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really hoping it makes production. It'd look great as a 5 oz ATB coin.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2017 10:39PM

I think they did a great job picking the winner here and can't wait for it to go to production.

I really enjoy looking at proposed designs and the Mint does a good job of posting them at the time of the coin design but I've noticed that these tend to disappear from their website over the years, like the Sac contest images.

Previously I would spend a bunch of Photoshop time assembling the images like the 2010 Lincoln reverse candidates in my signature but have wanted to do something easier and that also reaches more people at the same time so I've posted them to Pinterest to try it out:

https://www.pinterest.com/zocollo/san-antonio-missions-quarter-designs/

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is appropriate.

Remember the San Antonio Missions were all Spanish-Catholic missions, and each (that still exist) still has an operating Catholic Church that's been in operation for past 275 year. Give or take.

The coin is full of symbolism, but that's was the Missions were all about...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file