Home Precious Metals
Options

Any help on whether or not these are expensive gem stones and what kind of stone? And a German medal

Comments

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Rule no 1, there are no valuable gems on any silver jewelry or other silver junk one finds...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I thought rule no.1 was don't comment when you can't tell junk from ivory earrings from Hong Kong made during the Vietnam war

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ivory has patterns, this is likely plastic, coral and glass (from your pics). Ivory is easy to test and I would ask if you have done that yet.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Is this what you mean by patterns. The lines seen across the bottom. These were also purchased in Hong Kong during Vietnam. 3 wise men. Does anyone know what the markings on the bottom stand for? Also I apologize for taking it so personally, there is always a chance that they could be knock off earrings however they were purchased at the same time by the same person who got these. As well as a chess set and an awesome 12 piece figurine set.

• Options

Those bottom markings look intentional. I'm sorry but I do not see what ivory should be. Have you tested? Easiest test is to heat a safety pin to a red cherry tip and see if the "ivory" withstands the heat or if the pin goes into it (plastic). Do the test in a spot that is not focal (like bottom). Just looks like cheap Hong Kong knock offs but pics can be way off. Tourist stuff.
    bob

• Options

If they are Ivory, do you have paperwork? If not probably illegal to sell.
    bob

• Options

I'm not selling anything. I'm asking what types of stones do you think are on the earrings.

• Options

I'm going to be honest and I completely agree with you in that these earrings look like pieces of shit. The more I look at these pics... The worse they look. I'm going to take good closeups with good lighting and see the surface of the faces more clearly detailed. The balls on the crown definitely look plastic as well. They were passed down in my family so I had high hopes but after stepping back and taking a look at it from an outsiders perspective with no sentimental value. THEY LOOK BOGUS lolol. On the bright side they came from a man who defended our country back in nam. So many soldiers must have been ripped out while on R & R in Hong Kong.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes... the gemstones are glass.... the coral may be real, cannot tell. Do the ivory test and it will clearly tell you. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017 12:39PM

oopsie doosie.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Yes... the gemstones are glass.... the coral may be real, cannot tell. Do the ivory test and it will clearly tell you. Cheers, RickO

great response as usual, ricko.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like coral and garnets

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine ivory has a cross hatch pattern that you can see on cuts against the grain when you tilt it under light. Elephants have one type of pattern, mastodon and mammoth ivory has a slightly different cross hatch pattern. It's hard to describe but easy to see when you have it in hand.

The first two are elephant ivory; the last one is mammoth.

• Options

Does this figurine look authentic or faux ?

• Options

• Options

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look like genuine ivory to me. See the cross-hatch pattern on the bases? That's what you want to see.

• Options

Can you tell if it's elephant or mammoth ?

• Options

Looking more like ivory. How did the pin test turn out?

bob :)