Home U.S. Coin Forum

New rules regarding coin purchases

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rule #1, Even though a company has large sales quantity and high feedback percentage, I will now investigate all negs.
Rule #2, Do not showcase coin on any forum until you receive it inhand. I found it to be in error showcasing something you may not get or the seller seeing the post and deciding to keep the coin(no proof of this, but nevertheless a rule)
Two times this year, I made cherrypick purchases off ebay and revealed them on the forums before receiving them. Both times
The wrong coin arrived that was not within 4 grades of the coin photo on ebay auction. Different sellers. Both with same story, couldn't find it so sent replacement coin and now just keep the vg coins in place of au coins and refunded money. Due to both having many thousands of sales and 99% feedback, I did not investigate the 27 negs and 15 neutrals which all the neutrals were the same story and quite a few with no story at all, just a refund.
I haven't decided whether to neg the latest company or due to refund giving a neutral. I will not give out these companies as a simple check of their negs will give a bidder all the info they need.
Sorry to rant, but first time this has happened to me in 15 years of ebay bidding and selling.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely wait until it's in hand or at least you have a tracking number before showing them off on here. I agree.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting post! I find that to be quite coincidental with a couple recent "purchases" that I made on Ebay, where the coin "purchased" was "LOST" either before sending or "in the mail" both were won at auction at good prices and one was simply refunded after waiting for 3 weeks or so for it to arrive, (I told them that when it did arrive I would happily pay for it) Of course it never came. In the case of the other I was simply sent a low grade substitute and refund was given.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not trying to rub it in but bragging about a cherry pick before you receive the coin should be rule #1 for someone that is a cherry picker.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a cherrypicker, just happened, I thought. But lesson learned.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s also possible the seller is using a picture of a variety just to make the sale, but doesn’t intend to ship the actual coin pictured. Could have nothing to do with this forum.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2017 10:22AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Never discuss a coin bought online until it is in your hands.

Especially if there's a GSC logo on the photo!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are actually very old rules...where ya been?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    It’s also possible the seller is using a picture of a variety just to make the sale, but doesn’t intend to ship the actual coin pictured. Could have nothing to do with this forum.

I've seen this before. Once a guy had an auction with four 1936 Lincolns for sale at $4 each, the pic was a of 36 ddo(I was looking for them). Undoubtedly he was trying to get someone to quickly just buy all four. I sent a message asking if the coin pictured was one of the ones for sale and they replied that it was just the first pic they found on a google search... yeah sure. I did a quick search for 1936 DDO and found that he had scooped the pic from some forum, I don't remember where.

Collector, occasional seller

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

DCW...I live in WV, haven't you heard we are twenty years behind the times.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a 1917 cent that looked like (from blurry picture) could be a ddo - received the 1910 they sold the same day. Th other buyer did not respond to them :(

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve made big scores two or three times over the years. Still haven’t shared them with anyone other than my wife (oh baby I make sure she knows about the gains). You never know who watches these boards and parading a rip around might close the door to future buying opportunities. It is a thrill when it all comes together though.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Definitely wait until it's in hand or at least you have a tracking number before showing them off on here. I agree.

Make sure it is in hand. USPS packages can be recalled by the seller....at least that is how I understand it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good rules.... the old 'bird in the hand' applies.... Cheers, RickO

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad the joke thread is gone... I have a great little axiomatic rhyme for the bird in the hand rule. Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017 8:04AM

@morgandollar1878 said:
    Not trying to rub it in, but (not) bragging about a cherry pick before you receive the coin should be rule #1; for someone who is a cherry picker.

I had to fix that

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file