Some more OT: RIP Tom Petty

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2, 2017 11:02PM in Sports Talk

"Learning to fly" is my fav

Sad news

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just read that his death was reported prematurely and that he's in the hospital.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Just read that his death was reported prematurely and that he's in the hospital.

talk about widespread erroneous reporting

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

unconfirmed as of now.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

He has already come back more times than Elvis.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

He Won't....Back....Down......

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw the Heartbreakers in concert in Seattle on Aug 19th (Safeco Field). Tom put on a great show ... he's been on my bucket list for a long time. Have always loved his music. So glad I got to see him.

A very sad day/weekend.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@Dave99B said:
    I saw the Heartbreakers in concert in Seattle on Aug 19th (Safeco Field). Tom put on a great show ... he's been on my bucket list for a long time. Have always loved his music. So glad I got to see him.

A very sad day/weekend.

Dave

He was just in LA at the Hollywood Bowl. Sad. Loved him

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I'm hearing now his family is taking him off life support. Not sure if that is true but sad news in any case.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved his duo with Stevie Nicks.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

Common ground found :D

mark

• Options

Petty joins Dylan, Clapton, Harrison and Young (plus a few more notables)

https://youtu.be/rGEIMCWob3U

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Common ground found :D

mark

Stevie Nicks is a sweetheart! :) We probably have a lot of common ground not tapped yet.

• Options

WOW.....what a stage full of major stars!!!

• Options

The Traveling Wlibury's were my jam for awhile. Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, ( ELO) Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty. They won a Grammy

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    The Traveling Wlibury's were my jam for awhile. Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, ( ELO) Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty. They won a Grammy

m

Great jam....oh for that kind of music again. Thank God for You Tube!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2017 10:50PM

confirmed now

• Options

He's dead again?

m

• Options

Walls

Some days are diamonds
    Some days are rocks
    Some doors are open
    Some roads are blocked

Sundowns are golden
    Then fade away
    But if I never do nothing
    I'll get you back some day

'Cause you got a heart so big
    It could crush this town
    And I can't hold out forever
    Even walls fall down

And all around your island
    There's a barricade
    It keeps out the danger
    It holds in the pain

Sometimes you're happy
    Sometimes you cry
    Half of me is ocean
    Half of me is sky

But you got a heart so big
    It could crush this town
    Even walls fall down

And some things are over
    Some things go on
    And part of me you carry
    Part of me is gone

But you got a heart so big
    It could crush this town
    Even walls fall down

Baby you got a heart so big
    It could crush this town
    Even walls fall down

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

sadly, the Truth we all feared and held in denial has now been made official: Drug Overdose. Tom Petty now joins the ranks of celebrities who inadvertently committed accidental suicide.

• Options

@keets said:
    sadly, the Truth we all feared and held in denial has now been made official: Drug Overdose. Tom Petty now joins the ranks of celebrities who inadvertently committed accidental suicide.

It's hard to feel sorry for those who take drugs and lose their lives.

• Options

Sounds that he was in pretty poor health either way.

Eric Clapton is not well either.

:/

• Options
    edited January 20, 2018 9:54AM

Let's not get carried away here. He died accidentally taking a combination of prescription pain meds for his broken hip. He was still touring 50+ nights a year.

mark

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine most overdoses are accidental. Most people don't sit down saying 'Man, I want to get so high I die.'

The thing is, you didn't always get the prescriptions you get now for pain; I grew up with stuff that was less addictive AND less effective. You dealt with pain and you weren't ready for a heroin addiction after 6 weeks.

do no harm < get money

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited January 20, 2018 12:53PM

All were scripted by physicans for the pain for his broken hip. Mixing them in quantity to relieve the pain is a slippery slope.

mark

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awaiting for the report on Cranberries lead singer Delores O'Riordan C.O.D. She passed the other day at age 46. Found dead in a London hotel room.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Awaiting for the report on Cranberries lead singer Delores O'Riordan C.O.D. She passed the other day at age 46. Found dead in a London hotel room.

I can almost guarantee it's another Janis Joplin case.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2018 3:04PM

I guess I don't know how to put a You Tube link in a post, but here is the address to Stevie & Tom singing duo.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UD0c58nNCQ

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    All were scripted by physicans for the pain for his broken hip. Mixing them in quantity to relieve the pain is a slippery slope.

mark

Lost a friend a year and a half ago that got hooked after surgery. I don't have any good answers or even bad answers for the opioid problem.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Lost a friend a year and a half ago that got hooked after surgery. I don't have any good answers or even bad answers for the opioid problem.

I hear you. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

m

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard it was a fentanyl patch , I don't know if thats true but those things are deadly . They don't work the same on everyones skin , sometimes you get a higher dose than you are supposed to. And sometimes its just delayed and a person in severe pain isn't going to be super patient so might slap on a second one and then its all over :s

• Options
    edited January 20, 2018 5:56PM

Tom Petty wasn’t taking illegal drugs to get ‘high’. He played 50+ shows with a broken hip. Please ... let’s not lump him in with the folks who OD while ‘getting high’. This was an accident; a bad mix of prescription drugs prescribed for a hip fracture and knee issues. Very tragic, and a huge loss to both his family and the music industry.

Dave

• Options

How do you know, Dave. Plenty of folks get high on prescription drugs.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2018 8:03PM

The point is no one knows but the facts are that he had a broken hip, was in a lot of pain, but continued touring at an age when most people are sitting down for early bird specials, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

• Options

Sometimes we/I jump to the wrong conclusion due to past history of other performers.