Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some recent Newps for the FB Merc set I have been working on

panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have really enjoyed collecting Mercs. It is, perhaps, the one coin that I like whether blast white, or heavily toned. I try to look for coins with original surfaces (at least in my opinion). As the set progresses, it is harder and harder to find examples, and items found are more often outside my current budget. I may never finish the set, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

Comments

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice. The 30S is a big time coin. Do you think the 17P is only a 64? It seems to me that PCGS is very tough on the 17P.

Ken

• Options

@Fairlaneman said:
    Very Nice. The 30S is a big time coin. Do you think the 17P is only a 64? It seems to me that PCGS is very tough on the 17P.

Ken

Yes, I think the 17 is right with a 64. If you look closely at the cheek, there is some chatter that is nicely camouflaged by the toning, just behind the mouth and down to the jaw line. And the 30 S did hurt for a while. Those are the Mercs I am down to so the process gets slower and more painful. We must all suffer for our passions!

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the rest of your set looks like these, keep it up. These are great!

I'm about where you are on these. Save and buy, repeat. The 20s are all tough. FB when possible, some just way out of reach.

I really like your plans of original surfaces.
    Are you doing registry on mercs?

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1917 looks outstanding for the grade!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@Sandman70gt said:
    If the rest of your set looks like these, keep it up. These are great!

I'm about where you are on these. Save and buy, repeat. The 20s are all tough. FB when possible, some just way out of reach.

I really like your plans of original surfaces.
    Are you doing registry on mercs?

Yes, I am currently at 46 on the FB Merc Registry. There is stiff competition, and it will be slower and slower going as I get down to the teens and twenties. I have started to also take a look at those I won't be able to get in FB but I still have some time. I do have some blast white examples too, I just buy what I like. I end up eating a lot of ramen noodles when I have spent too much on coins.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 17 is really pretty.

Larry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...really nice Mercs...... an amazing set you are assembling..... that '17 is impressive... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file