Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

slightly on topic, as we're always making a deal.....Monty Hall Has Passed Away.

PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2017 4:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Almost forgot about Monty and his TV show, good old days indeed.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/obituaries/monty-hall-dead-lets-make-a-deal.html

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2017 5:09PM

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember those $1000 bills that he gave away?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2017 6:18PM

You're right, I forget about those. I always wondered if they got to keep them.

So this thread is not off topic at all...

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

that was one of the best of the Game Shows in their hey-day, it was always fun to watch. he might have been a good coin dealer!!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

96 years old. A pretty good run.

Will he be remembered most for the "Monte Hall problem"?

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

"The problem is a paradox of the veridical type, because the correct result (you should switch doors) is so counterintuitive it can seem absurd, but is nevertheless demonstrably true."
    Lance.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2017 8:48PM

Deep down I know that I know the difference between Monty Hall and Bob Barker, but my subconscious always drifts to Vanna White.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

....................But Vanna White is still going strong............

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    ....................But Vanna White is still going strong............

Pete

And she's twice the age of Carol Merrill!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to the family.... he had a good show and a good life. 96 is a good run.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back around 1968 a young couple in town guessed the right door and won big. Whole house makeover. Deep shag carpet, lava lamps, etc. They were Happy. The stuff dreams are made of. Then the tax bill arrived. Then the divorce. Be careful what you wish for.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

We watched the reruns on Game Show Network when they were showing them a few years ago. He once opened the show with a 1907 High Relief $20 that became one of the prizes. It was from Bowers & Ruddy. I can't remember the value- I think he said it was in the $3000 range.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

"The problem is a paradox of the veridical type, because the correct result (you should switch doors) is so counterintuitive it can seem absurd, but is nevertheless demonstrably true."
    Lance.

The TV show Mythbusters did a segment about this and tested it. They determined it was much better to switch.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    Remember those $1000 bills that he gave away?

Just goes to show what was available to collectors back then, currency, at least. It was a good time.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

@lkeigwin said:

Today, Drew Carey periodically swears he does not know what the prizes are. Monty probably did.

Today, its a a 1 to 3 chance. 33% chance you win, 66% you lose on the three door deal for the car.

Better than betting on the latest US Mint limited releases, though! :)

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

The TV show Mythbusters did a segment about this and tested it. They determined it was much better to switch.

from the Wikipedia article on Monty Hall - he did not always give the contestants the choice to switch:

Hall gave an explanation of the solution to that problem in an interview with The New York Times reporter John Tierney in 1991.In the article, Hall pointed out that because he had control over the way the game progressed, playing on the psychology of the contestant, the theoretical solution did not apply to the show's actual gameplay. He said he was not surprised at the experts' insistence that the probability was 1 out of 2. "That's the same assumption contestants would make on the show after I showed them there was nothing behind one door," he said. "They'd think the odds on their door had now gone up to 1 in 2, so they hated to give up the door no matter how much money I offered. By opening that door we were applying pressure. We called it the Henry James treatment. It was 'The Turn of the Screw.'" Hall clarified that as a game show host he was not required to follow the rules of the puzzle as Marilyn vos Savant often explains in her weekly column in Parade, and did not always have to allow a person the opportunity to switch. For example, he might open their door immediately if it was a losing door, might offer them money to not switch from a losing door to a winning door, or might only allow them the opportunity to switch if they had a winning door. "If the host is required to open a door all the time and offer you a switch, then you should take the switch," he said. "But if he has the choice whether to allow a switch or not, beware. Caveat emptor. It all depends on his mood."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file