Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The bank teller replied, "I just got in some shiny ones!"

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was making a deposit the other day and always peak in the coin tray.

Asked the teller about some and she says, "I just got in some shiny ones!"

Who deposits proof coins?? I got a roll of Kennedy halves, $7 in quarters and 5 dimes. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody buys proofs to just deposit them in the bank....chances are someone somewhere is missing some coins....

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me being a big gun guy. It is very important to teach gun safety to those in my household. Also teach my kids what to do when they might come across said guns. On the flip side, Me being a coin collector. I feel it is important to teach my household about what coins may float around the house. AND ALSO NOT TO SPEND THEM! haha cool find man!

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earlier this week, someone pointed out that proof sets are virtually worthless, and you may as well spend them.

Then us crazy collectors go and pull them out of circulation....because they're special!

(I would have too....just saying, we can't make up our minds). :smiley:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

They would all have to grade P70Cam to make back the grading fees! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I got some circulated $2 Bills with red seals some cashier dumped on me once. Why do I keep them? The things are worthless. Sometimes us junk collectors just can't help ourselves.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice haul of drawer stuffers ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    Earlier this week, someone pointed out that proof sets are virtually worthless, and you may as well spend them.

Then us crazy collectors go and pull them out of circulation....because they're special!

(I would have too....just saying, we can't make up our minds). :smiley:

This.

Busted up some Proof sets from the early 1970s earlier this summer. To Coinstar!

Forty year losers for the prior owners.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great material for a blue book, type set, or such.
    Otherwise face value to my eyes.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool.

Larry

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Is that a thin layer grease strike thru on the 93?

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I was talking to a teller in a small town branch of one of my banks that was saying about six months ago they had a bunch of $1 silver certificates, $2 Legal Tenders and silver halves coming in from a commercial, ie convenience store that got them over a period of about a month. At least the tellers knew what they were getting and bought them.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2017 5:11PM

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

If you want to get rid of those worthless red seals I will buy them all at face.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sigh... If only some of them were the 90% silver versions. >:):'(

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    1st Grandchild on Monday - will save them for him. :smile:

Congrats Lakesammgrandpoppop! :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

it happens more often than you might think. I went through a friend's miscellaneous assortment of Kennedy halves and other things as a favor recently and found three circulated proofs -- a 2010-S clad Kennedy, a proof 1964 quarter (!) and a 1973-S quarter.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For collectors, it is always fun and interesting to find proof coins in circulation..... especially nice ones such as the OP found....Most of us will keep them... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

fun finds

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not true,
    just deposited about 45 proof halves and about 20 proof quarters and several nickels and cents fri,

Nobody is buying this stuff at all.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Got lucky once and the teller said she had some Ike's just come in if I wanted them. Purchase about 350$ worth. About half look like UNCs , not a mark on them. No silver:(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file