Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for the Ole Timers...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2017 10:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone remember a dealers name from the New England states that looked and dressed like Abraham Lincoln top hat and all?

I'm not talking about Jay Cline as this fellow was much taller & lanky with a no mustache beard just like Lincoln.

Active about 30 years ago and maybe from Connecticut?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen this guy at big shows like FUN and ANA, but I don't think he is a dealer and I don't know his name.

Not much help am I. :|

• Options

Your probably thinking of Jay Cline (below) who always did FUN since he was from Florida.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not Jay Cline - I remember the guy you mean,
    but haven't seen him at a FUN or ANA in
    many years.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

No, this was a guy that looked just like Abe and dressed in the same time period clothes. Cline didn't really look like Abe.

• Options

Okay so we all know the guy just not his name.

I also remember he bought a Victorian mansion and converted it into a retail coin & antique store.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dennis Boggs was the Abe Lincoln impersonator at the January 2014 FUN show when I was there. He has been at others also. Here is a video of him at the 2009? FUN show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZNjWHP5iY

. Is he who you might be thinking of?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

Thanks but the guy I'm trying to remember wasn't a Lincoln impersonator, but a coin dealer that looked like a Lincoln impersonator.

• Options

@tommy44 said:
    Dennis Boggs was the Abe Lincoln impersonator at the January 2014 FUN show when I was there. He has been at others also. Here is a video of him at the 2009? FUN show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZNjWHP5iY

. Is he who you might be thinking of?

This is the guy I was thinking of.

• Options

His wife was a very petite Asian woman who worked behind the table in normal clothes.

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I am thinking of the same dealer as you describe, but there was a dealer from Springfield, MA, Robert Cornell, who used to do the northeast regional coin shows, although I have not seen him in a while. He is tall and has a short beard, and I believe that his wife, who often assists him at shows, is Asian. I do not recall Robert ever consciously impersonating Abe Lincoln, but thinking back I can see how someone could think that he looked a bit like old Abe. I may be totally off the wall on this, but he is the only coin dealer from New England that I can think of who looks a bit like Lincoln (other than Dennis Boggs who we have eliminated).

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with MrHalfDime, it sounds like Robert Cornell.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

Thanks it was Robert Cornell as that name rings a bell. I thought of him this morning posting on Lincoln commem thread as I bought one from him and walked away thinking how cool it was buying a Lincoln from a dealer that looked just like him. I was 17 then and that was one of my first few out of state shows driving. Both he and his wife where extremely YN friendly.

• Options

You are most welcome, my friend. Glad to be of service .... even though you referred to me as an 'ole timer'. I don't know if RichieURich considers himself as an 'ole timer', or maybe he and I are just the only ones foolish enough to respond to such a setup.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

Sorry I just meant veterans in the hobby or seasoned collectors since my question was from 3 decades ago.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 4:51PM

Abuse reported >:)>:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

No offense taken. I was just yankin your chain.

"Seasoned Collector" ... that sounds nice. So much better than "Ole Timer". I hope that they won't go too hard on you, now that your abuse has been reported. ;)

I first bought a coin from Robert Cornell at a Maine Numismatic Association show back in 1989, and continued buying coins from him until 2000, which was probably the last time I saw him. He was a regular at the Baystate Coin Show in Boston for many years. I always found him to be accommodating and friendly, and enjoyed my relationship with him.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHalfDime said:
    You are most welcome, my friend. Glad to be of service .... even though you referred to me as an 'ole timer'. I don't know if RichieURich considers himself as an 'ole timer', or maybe he and I are just the only ones foolish enough to respond to such a setup.

Probably the latter. I bought several coins from Robert Cornell, the one I remember most is an 1839 Gobrecht dollar in an ANACS "repaired" holder, but I can't see the repair. Nice coin, still have it. :)

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey... I worked long and hard to earn the title of 'ole timer', and expect to wear it for a long time to come.... :D Since I have it on excellent authority that I am not getting any younger (says my wife).... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I started working for Coin World in 1973, so I guess I qualify as an old timer.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "... I just meant...seasoned collectors...3 decades ago."

Hmmm.....I'm not sure what type of seasoning was used on collectors 30 years ago. The last event I attended, the catering staff were using catsup, mustard, pepper and excess salt. Maybe one of the Denver restaurants served collectors with much more interesting seasonings. A good char is supposed to help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file